Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: CD Drive woes

Angry CD Drive woes

My CD drive decided to stop working. I have hunted around the PC Guide looking for tricks and tips and I have done a few of the things mentioned. I took the drive out and took it apart and cleaned the two hubs with rubbing alcohol. I very gently brushed the lens with a super soft, clean makeup brush too. I snapped it all back into place and it still doesn't work.

I've tried using data discs (games) and regular audio cd's and nothing works. When I put the disc in and close the tray, the green LED comes on for a second and goes off. I can hear faint "tick...tick...tick" from inside the drive. Then the tray automatically spits the CD back out. I also go into My Computer and try double clicking on the D: icon to get the CD to run but I get the error message that the drive isn't ready and to retry. I continued to retry several times before the disc finally spit itself out yet again. I also went into the device manager and disabled my DMA setting. Nada...didn't work either.

My computer is just a year old this month. The CD drive is a Creative 52x and I am running Windows 98 SE. Please help!!
    And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

-Pink Floyd

Hi Kayden,

I hate to say it, but it sounds like your CD-ROM is on its way out, especially if it's had heavy use in this last year. Might be time to go shopping.

The ticking sound is usually not a good sign.

Good luck,

Big Blue 66
    This space reserved for highly intelligent observations and witty remarks.

Effort & Courage are not enough without Purpose and Direction.

---- Auther Unknown

Angry

I HAVE THE SAME PROB BUT MY CD ROM ( WHICH IS THE SAME CREATIVE 52X)IS NEW
    PUT IN A DISK AND IT SITS THERE SAYING NOT READY , I DONT HERE ANY SOUNDS
    LIKE THE OUTHER GUY JUST THE CD GOING ROUND AND STOPING

Thanks for the reply BigBlue. Luckily my computer has a 2 year parts and labour warranty. I called the place I bought it from and asked if there was anything I could do to fix the problem. This is almost exactly what the guy told me...and he is supposed to be a computer 'expert',

"Did you try more than one CD in the drive?"

I reply, "Yes."

He says, "Well, try getting a clean Kleenex and polishing your CD's. Really get your thumbs in there and get any oil, fingerprints or dust off. If there is even a slight fingerprint on the disc, the CD player will think it's a bad disc. Heck, I rub every CD on my t-shirt before I put it in the tray."

...can you believe that? I almost fell over when he told me that! I have been collecting CD's for over 10 years and not once have I rubbed a CD on my t-shirt. I have a cloth for cleaning prescription glasses that I will use if ever a fingerprint gets onto a disc. But if you handle a CD properly, the chances of getting a fingerprint on it is minimal.

Well, he did tell me that if the drive is defective, he'll replace it no charge. Thing is, he has to replace it with the same make and speed CD ROM. He said that could take awhile to find one. Great...last time I took my computer in, they had it 8 days.

Oh, on a final note. Can the power supply cable leading to the CD drive be removed? When I took the drive out I was able to remove the ribbon cable and the wire leading to the sound card no problem. But the power cable wouldn't budge. Does it lock into place for good? Or is there a hidden tab to push to get the sucker out?

And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

-Pink Floyd

Yes it can be removed, doubtful on the locking tab but may of the connectors can be very tight. Gently rock it back and forth while pulling on it, it may take a while and be careful.

------------------
    mjc
    To ME or NOT to ME....
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thread Information