Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: System hung because of Winmodem?

Question System hung because of Winmodem?

Specs.
    PIII Katmai 600 MHz
    ASUS P3V4X Rev 1.02
    Windows 2000 Professional
    Adaptec 2940UW SCSI Card Slot 1
    Sound Blaster Live Value! Slot 2
    Accton Network Card ISA Slot
    PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard

I added a USR Winmodem 56 K to Slot 3. The computer wonít restart at all. Tried to unplug it, the system started as usual. I guessed that it was caused by the IRQ problem as discussed at the topics before, so I disabled the COM 1 and COM 2 port from BIOS setting. It didnít change anything. Please help me. Thanks.

Alif

Hi Markosib,

Welcome.

In order to set up the drivers for a winmodem, you need to run the install.exe or the setup.exe on the disk that came with the modem.

You might try the following:

1) Power down and physically remove the modem from the PCI slot and power it up again.

2) You might want to at least re-enable COM 1, but I don't think it's necessary for this problem. Additionally, I think COM 2 should remain disabled.

3) Once the operating system has loaded, insert the floppy disk that came with the modem. Go to Start/Run and browse the disk for either of the two files mentioned above. Run the .exe file to setup the software and/or drivers for the modem.

4) Once that's done, power down the system. Re-insert the modem in the PCI slot, using normal precautionary measures to ensure against static electricity.

5) Power up the system. Go to Device Manager to check whether your modem is listed there. While booting, the "Found New Hardware" wizard may start up, but I can't remember for sure, since it's been awhile since I installed a winmodem.

If the modem is not listed in Device Manager and the wizard does not start automatically, go to Add New Hardware in Control Panel. Follow the directions and see if that does it.

Please post back with any success stories, or problems.

Good luck.

Big Blue 66

------------------
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you in a court of law.
    This space reserved for highly intelligent observations and witty remarks.

Effort & Courage are not enough without Purpose and Direction.

---- Auther Unknown

Unhappy

Well, thanks for your message. I've tried all of it. It won't restart at all (won't run BIOS neither). When I removed the card, the system runs well. Just look like it was caused by the Winmodem. How's that?

I think Winmodems and Win 2000 don't like ea other personally

------------------
    "As hard as a rock & dumb as a brick"...Windows CEMeNT
    XP didn't save Me !

Lightbulb

Yeah Randy, It's funny
    Well I've tried and tried. It worked at once! The device manager viewed that the hardware runs well. Later, I must uninstall all of the system because one of the program makes an error in its *.vxd file. Not sure what was it cause. I still use Win2000 Professional. When I insert the winmodem to it's slot, the problem came again. The system and Winmodem don't like each other? :P

Blog Entries

Check the Windows 2000 home page and look for the hardware compatibility chart. Could be you got an incompatible modem. Win2000 is built on the NT kernal and has similar hardware compatibility issues, although I think it does support more hardware than NT does.

Also be sure the driver/software you're using does specifically state that it is compatible with win2000.

The best, but more expensive solution would be to get a good hardware modem. If the one giving you trouble is new and can be returned, it won't be too much more expensive, $20-30 at most...usually.

------------------
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thumbs up

Well, thanks Pete. I'll take the last choice only if the previous one didn't make any change.

Thread Information