Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Modem will not disconnect correctly

Unhappy Modem will not disconnect correctly

Hi,

I have a Lucent 56k internal voice/fax modem installed, however, when I try to disconnect it from the phone line it leaves the line open and I get no dial tone. I have to unplug the phone line and then plug it back in to get a dialling tone.

I thought that the modem was faulty so I have just purchased a new ADDTel 56k internal voice/fax modem. However, when I tried to install this one it kept placing it on com 5, told me it could not find it and during the installation of the driver and error message keeps coming up which says;
    'comfix has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL'

If there is anyone who can help me solve my modem problems I would me most grateful.

Blog Entries

Boot into Safe Mode using the [F8] key or hold down [Ctrl] during boot. Remove all modems from Device Manager. If one is a hardware based modem, use it and leave it in the board, restart and windows should find and install it.

To determine whether you have a software modem, look for system requirements on the box it came in, or on the manufacturer's website. If it requires a certain CPU speed to run, it's a software modem. If the name and model says LT winmodem, HSF or HCF it's a software job. They have to be installed using the setup.exe or install.exe file in the drivers, not the Add New Hardware Wizard. Often you have to remove the modem from the motherboard before installing the software, then physically install it after the software is installed.

Also with software modems sometimes you have to enable COM2 in BIOS, depending on what COM port the modem wants to use by default. Start with COM2 disabled in BIOS. (Serial Port 3F8) You say yours wanted COM5. That would mean it also would use the same IRQ as COM1, which is the mouse if you have a serial mouse. Let us know if that is the case. If you have a PS/2 mouse it uses IRQ 12, no problem there.

------------------
    So many idiots, and only six bullets...
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

thanks for your reply, my lucent modem is an LT winmodem as is my ADD Tel one. My mouse is not a serial one.

I have tried the things you have suggested but my modem still will not disconnect properly, even though it says it has.

do you have any further suggestions please

I found this http://support.microsoft.com/support.../q127/8/81.asp
    even though it relates to Win NT, you may be able to use the S25=3 additional setting in your modem's properties/advanced page.

------------------
    One of these days I'm gonna cut you into little pieces...

Thanks for your suggestion, but this doesn't work on windows Me.

i am really stuck for ideas now

hi

had you installed/uninstalled any new software ??

------------------
    sea1_69@hotmail.com

No, one day I disconnected from the internet and the phoneline was just left open, no dial tone, no engaged tone, just an automated message saying please hang up and try dialing again.

I am really puzzled over this. I thought the modem was broken so I bought another, and even this one does not work. In fact the computer says it has installed it at com 5 but when I try to connect using it the computer says there is no modem installed.

the reason I asked the previous question was because it sounded like an application was still trying to utilize the modem connection.

when you do a control, alt, delete- do you see any running programs that you can not identify, or anything 'new' ??

sometimes 'pop-up' sites can install things without your permission or knowledge.

------------------
    sea1_69@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by sea69 (edited 04-28-2001).]

Hi Again,

when I do that I don't see anything that shouldn't be there.

Thread Information