Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: cd rom problems

Angry cd rom problems

Hey,
    I've got a creative infra 60oo cd rom that used to work but one day I put in a cd and close the tray the light flickers for a few seconds and then goes out, it doesn't even try to read the cd ,I got a cd going once a little while ago but when I went to use it again it did the same thing. Can I fix this or do I have to go shoping

Hey and Welcome,

First thing I would do is open up the case and check the power and IDE ribbon cables going to the CD-ROM. Also check the IDE ribbon cable at the motherboard. You're looking for secure fit with everything.

Have you been inside the case lately for any reason? If so, you may have disturbed one of the cables mentioned above.

Post back with progress on the above. However, if everything is secure and it was working before, it might be that the CD-ROM unit is dirty, which would not allow the heads to move and read correctly. If you want to try cleaning it yourself, post back and some others can give you the necessary steps involved.

Good luck.

Big Blue 66

------------------
    Life = Karma, or is it, Karma = Life?
    This space reserved for highly intelligent observations and witty remarks.

Effort & Courage are not enough without Purpose and Direction.

---- Auther Unknown

Are you wanting the CD to autostart or are you physically not able to read the CD at all? Big difference.

From your description, it seems to be the autostart problem.
    You would have to go to control panel and choose System then the tab Hardware Manager and choose the CD drive. Then check the settings to see if Auto insert notification is turned on.

If that is not the case, then I suggest what BigBlue66 said.

Good luck.

Hey
    thanks alot for the tips, I opened her up and all the cables are secure so it must need a clean. Its not the auto insert notification option because when u click the drive it says device is not ready, should of said that before
    So how do u clean the drive?

Thanks again
    Mike

Hi mike2001, cleaning can be done by getting hold of a cdrom cleaner and solution from your local computer fayre or computer supplier its just a cd with 2 little brushes on the underside that need a little solution adding before you insert, some even come with some audio on them to talk you through the cleaning cycle.

------------------
    MB

If we can't find the answer we keep on trying....never afraid to ask again.
    MarkBlack

If we can't find the answer we keep on trying...I'm never afraid to ask again.

Thread Information