Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: booting up

Question booting up

Iwas compressing when putter crashed when trying to boot up with disk it say starting windows
    A:\>mode con cp prepare=(850) ega:cpi)
    mode prepare code page function completed
    A:\>mode con cp select=850
    mode select code page function completed
    A:\>
    Could someone please tell me what this means
    or tell me what to do.
    This is 120 MHz Pentium processor lap top

Barry, I'd like to help but you need to tell us more history about the problem, and more about your system.

------------------
    Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide
    A comprehensive, comprehensible guide to TCP/IP protocols and technologies...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

Question

Originally posted by ixl:
    Barry, I'd like to help but you need to tell us more history about the problem, and more about your system.

the system i have is windows 95 and i just down loaded 5.5 internet explore, and also i just finish downloading ICQ , Then i scan the hard drive for errors, because i want to get verything done before i started using the computer. i also just got externale modem for the computer. it also makes this fun noise like dailing sound when i frist turn it on. it seem to me that it wants a command and i don't know the command. thank you for trying to help me again thanks. Barry 73

[/B][/QUOTE]
    Why are you IPL'ing from the floppy. Try removing the floppy in drive A: and see what happens. Jim

This is an odd one. A wild guess is that you have a bootable floppy disk in your floppy drive and its doing whatever it does. Pop it out and reboot from the hard drive. The "A> " prompt on the output you provided is what makes me think you have something like that.

dale

Question

Originally posted by dale:
    This is an odd one. A wild guess is that you have a bootable floppy disk in your floppy drive and its doing whatever it does. Pop it out and reboot from the hard drive. The "A> " prompt on the output you provided is what makes me think you have something like that.

dale
    thanks Dale but computer is telling me to insert Boot-diskand press any key.Then it says booting from Floppy disk Starting windows 95...
    A:\>mode con cp preare= ((850) EGA:CPT)
    mODE PREPARE CODE PAGE FUNCTION COMPLETED
    A:\>mode con cp select+850
    Mode select code page function completed
    Ithink it wants a command from me,when type anything in and hit enterit says Bad command or file
    I hope this helps you out Dale
    once again Dale Thanks Barry

[/B][/QUOTE]
    Apparently something happend while you were compressing and it has left you such that you can not IPL the HardDrive C:. Bios is asking for a disk which will IPL. After IPLing the floppy, try some commands.
    C: Should change you to the C: drive.
    dir Should display the files on the C: drive
    If this does not work then you do not have access to the HD.
    Watch the console after power on for direction on how to go into setup. Just follow directions, being careful not to change anyting unless you are certain that you want to, and see what the setup thinks you have for a HD.
    Read all MS documentation. Try to find what you do to recover a compressed dataset. I never use it so I can't talk about it.

Thread Information