Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Installed windows 98 SE now hard drive is fried.

Question Installed windows 98 SE now hard drive is fried.

Help. I installed Windows 98SE on my computer. Upon the first reboot, the computer hang at the windows logo. I completly shut down the computer and tried to restart from a cold boot. I got as far as the memory count and the screen hangs on the Amibos System configuration page. I have tried to start using the emergency startup disk but my computing acts like it does not see it.

What should I do.

------------------
    Ionaje

If it never gets past the bios screens, it is not a problem with your hard drive being fried. It would be something in bios. From my experience this is a good sign of the bios battery on the motherboard either being really low in juice, or else it could have gone bad, or you might try removing it and then putting it back in, which resets bios to default values. If that last suggestion doesn't work, try replacing it, they cost like 2 dollars at radio shack. If that doesn't help, ask one of the bios experts, because I am not pro at entering bios and resolving problems inside of bios without being in front of computer screen (just being honest). by the way, the batter I am talking about looks like a watch battery on the motherboard.

------------------
    Joe Redd
    MCP
    Joe Redd

shadowmonkx Guest

THIS IS IMPORTANT! You may have already guessed this, but BE SURE you get the EXACT SAME battery "type" (not brand), or you may damage your motherboard!

Good luck,

-shadowmonkx

Cool

thanks for the advice I will give it a shot this weekend

------------------
    Ionaje

Blog Entries

Check my site below, you'll find links to the BIOS survival guide, which is a very good resource when trying to get around in the BIOS. Also links to a couple of other good BIOS related sites.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information