Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Windows 98 Shutdown problems

Question Windows 98 Shutdown problems

I seem to be having a problem when I shut down in Windows. More often than not, when I click on shut down, I get a bluescreen fatal exception error. Every once and awhile, the system will shutdown normally, or go to the "You can shut your system off now" and hang there.
    On another note, sometimes when I boot up, it'll boot up normally up until I get to my background image and then just freeze, and up on top of the screen I'll get a thin band of little slashes all across the top. Not sure if related. I'm assuming I'm getting some sort of conflict. Anyone have any ideas? At least where to look?

I'm running an Athlon 700, Asus K7M motherboard, and Windows 98 (Not SE).

Blog Entries

Very good possibility it's related, but not entirely sure...

Troubleshooting Windows Shutdown Errors

Check in Device Manager and see if anything has any yellow splats.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information