Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: win98-apps open & don't open

Question win98-apps open & don't open

My system is running under an Epox EP-8KTA motherboard with an AMD Duran 600MHz processor. When I turn on the system there is a 50/50 chance that any applications will open or not. When the system allows me to open any application, it runs without any problems, but when it doesn't it only allows me to Shut Down. I ran Norton Utilites against the system and no errors came up. I would certainly appreciate any help I can get.
    Thanks,
    fjmata

I assume you've scanned for viruses, as that's the first thing that comes to mind.
    Recently installed any new hardware or software, or moved the machine?

------------------
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide
    A comprehensive, comprehensible guide to TCP/IP protocols and technologies...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

Question

Charles, thanks for your respond.
    Yes, I recently built this computer (all the parts where new except for the CD drive and the floppy drive). The hard disk already had win98 installed, but I ended up re-installing win98 thinking that would solve the problem.
    I have also run a (Norton SystemWorks)virus-scan and scan the computer for any system or windows errors. I appreciate your help.

Question

After doing some more troubleshooting this is what I believe is the problem.
    When I turn on my PC and the system finishes booting, I can open any application on the desktop and on Start-Programs.
    If I do a warm boot, the system stays the same (I can open any application).
    But if I do a cold boot, I canít open any of the applications on the desktop and on Start-Programs.
    But If I use Program-Run, I can open any application. It seems the Shortcuts donít work.
    If I do another cold boot, then I have the ability again to open any application on the desktop
    and on Start-Programs. It goes back and forth. Thanks again for any help.

Some random (and probably dumb) thoughts...

Have you tried deleting the shortcuts and creating new ones?

There's an option in TweakUI to "Repair Icons" that might also help. If you don't have TweakUI, get it here: http://www.annoyances.org/win98/features/tweakui.html

Good Luck!
    Kim

Thread Information