Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Suspend and resume

Question Suspend and resume

Okay people here goes, I have a HP Pavilion 6630 (Celeron 500 128MB ram), replaced video card (S3 Savage 4)and modem, Win98SE with all the latest updates, IE 5.5, DX 8.0. My problem is I can suspend and resume (almost). Before the updates suspend did not work (crashed coming out) After all the updates and hardware replacement suspend almost works. It will come out and then issue a fault code (explorer.exe caused ageneral protection fault in user.exe .....). Hit close, active desk top will dissapear and the system will recover and work fine. If I suspend after this first time it returns without any problems. MS PMTSHOOT showed everything shutting down correctly (lets put this baby to sleep (no kidding)) and then resuming ok. HP was puzzled and after about half an hour on the phone suggested I reinstall Windows. (seems to be the the stock answer for any and all puzzling questions)
    Reason for post: small child, favorite button, Daddy's sanity
    Thank you one and all for contributing to my effort to remain sane in a Windows world.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Blog Entries

1. Do you have a screensaver set to come on after Power Management takes over? That will cause big headaches...screensavers are no longer necessary, these days they're nothing but eye candy. Disable it.

2. Try disabling active desktop. (probably not related).

3. Put a plastic keyboard cover over the keyboard, so the "favorite button" is at least partially inaccessible. Most keyboards come with one in the box. It also makes a great dust cover. If it's the button on front of the case, a shield might need to be devised. Child proof it!

I have a friend who made small plexiglas covers for the buttons on his TV and Stereo for that reason.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Okay, Pete
    1. No screensaver.

2. It does it with ative desktop enabled or disabled.

3. No plastic cover (HP packaging).

So I think I'll just switch keyboards -- an older Windows keyboard with no extra buttons, just the Windows key.

I just seem to get them oddball machines.

Mike

[This message has been edited by mjc (edited 11-18-2000).]
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

Blog Entries

Try disabling Power Management in BIOS and let Windows handle it. I keep mine set up that way, I have an exclamation mark in Device Manager, but it works perfect.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Well Pete,
    It seems that there was something else up because after I started this thread my hard drive seemed to forget what was on it and nothing I had or could do would recover it so I had to wipe and reinstall everything. So now everything works great including standby (but only with my new video card.

Mike

ps Know where to get a cd burner cheap?

Blog Entries

CSO

Price Watch

And check ebay and other auction sites, they sometimes have people selling new items.

------------------
    Soon as I come up with all the answers...they change the questions!!

My Photography

Thread Information