Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: windows 98 wont start

Post windows 98 wont start

I tried to install my 100MB zip drive into my PC this weekend so I d/l'ed the iomegaware software from their website and installed it, at the end it told me to restart the computer so I did but now when I start the PC it goes to the windows 98 loading screen but then goes back to DOS with this error message:
    "your program created a divide overflow error
    if the problem persists contact your program vendor
    c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd: missing/unable to load"
    I can still go into safe mode and I know the file is still there so I'm guessing it got corrupted some how. I need any help anyone can give me

------------------
    [This message has been edited by will729 (edited 4-3-1900 in a small wood cabin in texas).]
    [This message has been edited by will729 (edited 4-3-1900 in a small wood cabin in texas).]

bump. anyone have an idea?

------------------

The VMM32.vxd file is a file that contains a "list" of other VxD files for Windows to load during startup. I'm guessing that one of those VxD files (VxD = Virtual Device Driver)is missing or corrupted.

I would boot to safe mode and remove the Iomega software. Then reboot and download/install the Iomega software again.

If interested take a look at the Microsoft Resource Document Q174018 for an explaination on the Windows Bootup process.

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by scada (edited 11-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by scada (edited 11-21-2000).]

I already unistalled it and still get the same error and I can't connect to the internet in safe mode (im at school right now)

------------------

First remove the zip drive from your computer.(if it's a parallel version)

Then remove the shortcut icons in your startup folder. (copy them to your desktop or someother safe place) Then open Device manager and if your have the parallel version of the zip drive, click on SCSI controllers. Now click
    "Iomege parallel port interface ", click the "settings" tab and remove all information from the "adapter settings" field.(this removes the parallel port accelerator settings)

The second option would be to remove the Iomega parallel port interface all togethere.

Now turn off the computer and reattach the drive then restart.

I would still remove the shortcuts in the startup folder no matter what version of Zip you have.(by the way what version do you have?) If all goes well put the shortcuts back except for any Iomege ones. Those I would delete.

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by scada (edited 11-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by scada (edited 11-22-2000).]

One other thing I forgot to post. The register and system.ini file may still contain pointers to vxd files that the zip drive uses.( they can sometimes remain even if you uninstall the program using the add/remove from control panel)

I would not attemp to tell you which entries to remove, but I would suggest a call to Iomega tech support.

Hope this helps!

I have the parallel port version, none of those things worked so I'm going to call IOmega thanks for the help anyways though. any idea why something like that would happen? I downloaded the software and followed the instillaion wizard I don't know why it would mess up like that

------------------

Nope not a clue. I browsed Iomega's support forum and their tech's know how to fix 'em but aren't telling anyone why it screws up to begin with.

If you can would you post back how they fix it for you. I'm curious to know.

Thanks

Thread Information