Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Win98 setup wizard hangs

Post Win98 setup wizard hangs

Windows 98 Setup wizard hangs part way through the setup/install process.
    I have taken out all of the cards such as modem and sound card. I also disabled the antivirus protection in the BIOS. Any ideas what could be hanging the system?

Some installation problems are remedied by Running Windows 98 Setup from Your Hard Disk, which is described in Windows 98 Setup.txt (which is also on the CD). It worked for me once, although on another occasion I had a bad CD-ROM drive (it had a bad vibration). There are other things to check in the text file too.

------------------
    reido@my-deja.com

[This message has been edited by Reid (edited 01-08-2001).]

I've read the setup.txt and I have also tried installing from the HDD and the CDROM drive. I've even refomatted the HDD and started over. The screen shows 100% of the "Preparing to run Win 98 Setup" but then freezes. I even let it set overnight on this screen to make sure I was giving it enough time.

Do you think it could be a jumper setting on the motherboard?
    The CPU was originally an Intel that has been replaced with a AMD.
    The jumper settings were changed to match the CPU.

It sounds like you are doing the right things. Just wondering, was the system stable before replacing the CPU? Check the CPU temperature in BIOS, if it has that capability; it may be running hot. Have you upgraded anything else on the board?

------------------
    reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends load Windows ME

Blog Entries

Take a look at these articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Database:
    Q195647
    Q195750

------------------
    My hairdresser charges me a finder's fee!!

Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Solution

I know this thread is ancient, but there's still quite a few of us working with Win98. I found the solution (for me at least). When you type Setup, add /ie to the end of it...ie: setup /ie . This will disable creation of the startup disk, which is where it's hanging up...it wants a floppy, but skips asking for it for some reason.

Here's a link for installing by first copying the Win98 directory off the CD to your hard drive:

The short version is get into DOS then type the following

C:
    md win98cd
    md win98
    copy D: win98\*.* (this will take awhile)
    setup /ie

Here's the link:

http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/softwa...ade/inst98.htm

....... .......z

PS. The most important thing is to remove ALL cards (Modem, Video, Sound Cards etc) from the motherboard before you start. Once you get it up, add the cards one at a time and get the drivers installed etc.......
    Last edited by zardiw; 03-13-2005 at 05:09 AM.

One of the things that causes "setup.exe" to hang is when it's trying to set up for use, the various items of hardware.
    If it encounters an item for which no drivers are included in the Windows installation files it cannot proceed, and hangs.
    Microsoft instruct that the user should then SWITCH OFF the PC at the power switch, then switch back on and continue with setup.
    Windows will by-pass that item of hardware [It's designed to do this. It records in a file the identification of the item that caused the problem] and continue with the setup [if told to do so].
    Once into Windows, you manually install the driver for the disabled device.

The alternative is to do as zardiw suggested [not connect as many hardware items as possible to begin with, and connect them one-by-one].

Cool

This is true, BUT, this particular hang is at the beginning when it says Windows 98 Setup Wizard is initializing, and the progress bar is at 100%. It's some kind of glitch that happens right where it wants to create the Startup disk. This is before any hardware detection occurs. Running setup with the /ie option let's it get by this......however I think it gets mad, cause it tries to access the floppy about 10 times like crazy before it goes past it....

I'll tell ya, it had me going for a while... .....LOL...... ..........z
    Last edited by zardiw; 03-13-2005 at 12:49 PM.

Running Windows Setup
    ·Gathering information
    ·Analyzing the computer (hardware detection)
    ·Selecting software components in Custom Setup
    ·Selecting network components in Custom Setup
    ·Specifying computer identification
    ·Changing computer settings in Custom Setup

·Creating a startup disk
    ·Copying files and completing Setup

Notice that creating a Startup disk comes near the END just BEFORE the final copying of files to the HDD. Whereas hardware detection comes near the BEGINNING.

The hardware detection process can take several minutes. The progress indicator shows what portion of hardware detection has been completed. Notice that this is also the point at which Windows Setup can stall if hardware detection fails for a particular system component.

CV, could you give more detail on what you see leading up to the point where it hangs? [What are the chances of him still being around I wonder?]

As soon as you start Windows Setup, the screen indicates that Setup is being initialized. During this earliest phase, several files needed to run Setup are copied to the local computer, and Setup runs ScanDisk to check the integrity of the hard disk. After Windows Setup completes these activities, the Welcome message shows the estimated time that it will take to complete the process, plus the basic phases of Windows installation.
    Last edited by Sylvander; 03-13-2005 at 01:27 PM.

OK, maybe you're right on that.....This hang happens at the BEGINNING when the setup wizard is initializing, right after the initial copying of setup files. There's a progress bar, and when it reaches 100% it hangs. Maybe it's hanging on the floppy hardware detection, I don't know. What I DO know is that with the /ie option, it accesses the floppy like crazy after the 100% point is reached, but then gets past it. I can't give you the exact details of the window, since Win98 is installed. I'm going to do another computer soon, so I'll try to post what the exact wordingon the window is......Btw the only thing on the harddrive at that point is the wininst.400 directory.

It happens after scandisk, and the installation window showing remaining time, etc is on the screen...........z

PPS...this is a PentiumII computer, so I don't really see what Win98's problem is. Maybe the floppy is flakey....lolol.....who knows?.........z

Re: "Beginning" vs. "End" debate.

The few times I have had Win98SE hang up during installation has been at "Will now restart your computer". This is near the "End".

My solution was to push "reset button" on tower, Win98SE continued to a successful installation.

For what its worth.

OK, here's a FULL description of the problem (just plugged another harddrive to do this)

Scan disk is over
    Hit E<B>x</B>it

Scanning System Registry
    Copying files needed for setup

Welcome to Windows 98 Setup screen
    To begin Setup, click Continue

A small window opens up that reads:

Windows 98 Setup

Setup is preparing the Windows 98 Setup Wizard, which will guide you through the rest of the setup process. Please wait.

There's now a progress bar, and when it reaches 100%, it HANGS.

The status on the LEFT pane is "Preparing to run Windows 98 Setup"

i.e it has NOT gotten to the "Collecting information about your computer" part.......

Estimated time remaining is at the 30-60 minutes point.

You know THIS time it got past it without using the /ie option!!!!

I took out the floppy (Win98 Boot that I booted it with) during the preparing setup wizard part......

How WEIRD!!!

Will try to duplicate problem........z

Ok, narrowing it down....the progress bar represents the Wininst0.400 directory being written from the CD, I think, i.e. the copying of the setup wizard to disk.

When that reaches 100%, it's done, and I think it starts the hardware detection process, and that's when it hangs...right at the beginning of that. Detecting the floppy????

I think we can chalk this up to flaky hardware....................z

You said:
    the setup wizard is initializing, right after the initial copying of setup files. There's a progress bar, and when it reaches 100% it hangs.
    then
    with the /ie option, it accesses the floppy like crazy after the 100% point is reached, but then gets past it.
    Where does this fit in to the sequence?
    after scandisk, and the installation window showing remaining time, etc is on the screen

Is it:
    1. Files copied to the HDD.
    2. Scandisk checks HDD integrity.
    3. Wecome screen displayed for Windows Setup Wizard [click "Next"].
    4. Setup Wizard initialization progress bar displayed [reaches 100%].
    5. Collecting info about your PC [detecting hardware (beginning with the FDD)]? This puzzles me. The next step listed in the info I have is that the user is asked [by a dialog box] to specify the address of the Windows install folder [C:\Windows]. So I don't understand why the FDD is being checked out at that point.

Oops, I composed and posted this [I thought] before OldBob posted his above.
    Last edited by Sylvander; 03-13-2005 at 02:14 PM.

Ok. It now hangs with or without the /ie option when installing from CD.

So, the solution I guess is to do the copy to disk part first as in the link in prior post, and then install from there using the /ie option.......at least that worked for me.

NOW, I'm using a Bart Boot CD to get me to DOS....if that makes any difference, I don't think so.......Since I've installed plenty of times this way.

Using a Win98 startup disk to boot, and then putting in the Win98CD and typing setup, and leaving the startup floppy in, it WORKS.

Now taking the floppy out after typing setup, it really hammers on the floppy drive, trying to read it, but it finally gives up and now THAT works also............

Well, I hope we've beaten this poor old dead horse enough...lol.......z

This all happens BEFORE it asks for the Windows directory........

I wonder if:
    Before Windows Setup asks the user where they'd like to install Windows,
    it checks out which "mass storage devices" are available [where it might possibly be able to intall to].
    And since the BIOS says that there are certain drives listed [including the FDD], it checks out whether there is a [functioning] disk in the drive?

Well, it must know it's got a hard drive, cause the very first thing it does is copy the setup directory to it.......z

Does it really?
    During this earliest phase, several files needed to run Setup are copied to the LOCAL COMPUTER,... Notice it doesn't say "to the local HDD".
    I wonder how it "decides" WHERE to copy the files to? And does it matter where? Could they be temporarily stored in RAM? They don't need to be in permanent storage after all [or do they?] But the Windows installation is a different kettle of fish. It MUST be in permanent storage in a "mass storage device". So perhaps it must check which mass storage devices are present and functioning before it asks the user where on one of those they'd like Windows to be installed.

I know this is an old thread.....but believe it or not an incorrect date & time can also derail win98 setup.
    Backup my hard drive? How do I put it in reverse?

Thank goodness hockey is back!

To further the discussion, I have experienced the same difficulties with the setup. Firstly, it is a good idea to check that the FDD is working properly (maybe check that you can read/write from it at the DOS prompt).

Secondly, because I use a networked box that doesn't need a FDD (I couldn't be bothered to get one either ), I simply disable the floppy device 1 in the BIOS (under the CMOS menu). This stops Windows 98 from trying to access a non-existent FDD. BUT be aware that this procedure will result in Win98 NOT installing the FDD controller drivers and this may or may not affect overall system performance. When upgrading to Windows XP, it produced an error stating that one of the drivers installed was operating in MS-DOS compatibility mode (which makes sense since the FDD drivers were not installed). The solution at this point is to re-enable the 1.44mb floppy option in the BIOS which will result in Win98 booting up and asking for the Win98 CD to install the relevant floppy controllers.

Hope this helps someone......

PS. Don't mess around too much with re-installing windows and linux on the same hdd too often .... seems my hdd is not able to correctly partition and recognise the free space :/

Talking Thanks thanks thanks

This might be an ancient thread, but it helped me!

The option /ie did it for me!

Thanks

Theo

Thread Information