Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Win 98 SE year keeps changing

Question Win 98 SE year keeps changing

I thought maybe one of the users were changing the year on the computer date so they could deal with software, but upon booting system I receive a message from Norton Antivirus (Norton SystemWorks 2001) indicating my virus update subscription has expired. Upon searching for the problem I find that the computer's date (year only) has been changed to 2002. Has anyone run across this problem? The only changes that I know that have been made is that I established a TCP/IP network with a Win 95a pc, but actually this problem happened before that.
    System:
    Dell Dimension 4100
    800 MHz PIII
    128MB RAM
    30 GB ATA 100 HD
    TNT2 M64 Video
    HP 932C Inkjet
    Creative Sound Blaster Audio PCI 64V
    3Com Etherlink NIC
    HFC Modem
    Win 98 SE with all updates
    MSN Messenger updated
    MS Office 2000
    Palm Desktop
    Media Face II
    PowerArchiver
    WinZip
    Quicktime
    Adobe Acrobat Reader
    RealPlayer 8 Basic
    RealJukebox 2
    AOL Instant Messenger
    Yahoo Messenger
    Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4
    TweakUI

I can't think of any new software or updates. No other probs noticed. I have done several virus scans with increased heuristics/bloodhound detection. Any thoughts or ideas? I've done a couple of searches and after posting this I will head to the unbearable MS Knowledge Base. Thanks!

------------------
    Jerry

[This message has been edited by bassvax (edited 02-04-2001).]

Blog Entries

Only thing I can think of is check BIOS and see if it has the wrong year set. Windows gets its time settings from what's set in BIOS, according to the motherboard's clock.

------------------
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Lightbulb

Thanks Pete...(by the way, did you get that HD yet?...I forgot to put any return info on or in the box).
    I failed to mention all of the things I checked. I checked BIOS and ran system file checker and a couple of other things. There wasn't anything in the MS KBase. But...I have booted the pc several times since posting the original message and have not encountered the problem again as of yet. My fingers are crossed. I was just curious if anyone else had seen this happen. Thanks again.

------------------
    Jerry

Blog Entries

Yep, got it, installed it, using it right now in fact. Works perfect so far, no problems at all. Completely repartitioned and formatted it on my Cyrix machine so I could keep this one up and running until it was ready, couldn't have gone smoother. Thanks a bunch.

That's the first time I've seen a computer date chane upward usually it's a battery that makes it lose time...only thing I could think of was the wrong BIOS setting.

------------------
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information