Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: IRQ'a

Post IRQ'a

When I go into the bios it says that my DSL modem is on IRQ 5 but when I go into system information it says it is on IRQ 3. Which one is right? The reason I ask is I have my Geforce2 card on 3 as well as my 56k modem. I would rather the modem be on 5.
    Thanks for any help.

Blog Entries

Which COM port is it on? COM 2 is IRQ 3.

Check Device Manager and see what it says. If you have a video card and modem on IRQ 3 it's likely to cause a conflict, something looks weird here...While in Device Manager highlight Computer and click Properties, that should give you a list of IRQ's in use. See what it says too.

Post the list here and let us see what it looks like, and maybe we can figure all this out...

------------------
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Alright, this is what I get when I go to device manager.
    IRQ 0-System timer
    IRQ 1-standard keyboard
    IRQ 2-programmable interrupt controller
    IRQ 3-conexant pci modem enumerator
    IRQ 3-intel pro/dsl modem-ppp
    IRQ 3-nvidia geforce 2 gts
    irq 3-acpi irq holder for pci irq steering
    irq 3-acpi irq holder for pci irq steering
    irq 4-communications port(com1)
    irq 5-creative sb16 emulation
    irq 6-standard floppy disk controller
    irq 7-ecp printer port (lpt1)
    irq 8-system cmos/real time clock
    irq 9-sci irq used by acpi bus
    irq 10-texas instruments ohci ieee 1394 host controler
    irq 10-creative sb live! value
    irq 10-acpi irq holder for pci irq steering
    irq 11-via tech 3038 pci to usb universal host controller
    irq 11-via tech 3038 pci to usb universal host controller
    irq 11-accton en1207d series pci fast ethernet adapter
    irq 11-acpi irq holder for pci irq steering
    irq 12-ps/2 compatible mouse port
    irq 13-numeric data processor
    irq 14-via bus master pci ide controller
    irq 14-primary ide controller (dual fifo)
    irq 15-via bus master pci ide controler
    irq 15-secondary ide controller (duel fifo)

Where are the doubles coming from also? I double checked an the Intel Pro/dsl modem is listed as irq 5 in the bios.
    Again, any help is appreciated.

Blog Entries

OK, I can't make much sense of the IRQ list, the IRQ steering is related to the PCI bus being able to use multiple devices on the same IRQ and allow each to be accessed when needed without causing major conflicts, and it always confuses me...

One question. Is this causing any problems? Does the DSL modem not work, or the 56K modem not work?

One thing I would do is remove the one that's not being used, it's taking up space and an IRQ...Remove it from Device Manager and remove it from the slot.

------------------

Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Are you mixing up IRQ's and Com ports in your listing? Ive never seen a Conexant PCI modem on IRQ 3 (only on 10 or 11) so I'm wondering ???

------------------
    When all else fails...start parts swapping!
    XP didn't save Me !

The list is exactly how it looks on my computer when I go into the properties of device manager. Even in the bios the conexant modem is listed as number three but when I try to change it the video card goes with it.
    As for is this causing any problems. Well, I had some video problems and Compaq decided to format my hard drive. Okay, clean install. Well, now I have a few problems and I am seeing if this is the cause.
    1-windows 98 se takes forever to load up. After a few seconds on the startup screen, the lights on my keyboard go out and it seems like the computer locks up, but after about three minutes the desktop loads and everthing is fine.
    2-unreal tournament runs fine until the second I hit the find internet games button. The computer just locks up at that point.
    3-this one is really weird and was happening before my clean install. When I try to run Diablo II the opening seqeunce runs fine and the blizzard logo sequence, but as soon as the character screen comes up it is a garbled mess sort of if you were to kick a arcade game. Guess what is in the garbled mess-unreal tournament shots. This happens even if I have restarted the computer inbetween running UT and Diablo. One note is Diablo II has run just fine on my computer before, a few months back.
    Am I looking at the wrong stuff? I have tried different drivers including the compaq version and the nvidia drivers with the same results. I thought the video card was shot but if it is just this specific problem how could that be.
    Thanks for the help.

Blog Entries

If you still have some warranty left I would suggest you call Compaq again and tell them what's happening. From past experience I know their tech support isn't the greatest, but if you keep bugging them forever they will eventually fix or replace it.

I can't think of a reason screenshots from one game would end up in another, one thing I would do is run a virus scanner with current DAT files.

Locking up when you try to find internet games sounds like it has an IRQ conflict somewhere. again, I would remove either the 56K modem or the DSL, whichever is not being use, that may have a lot to do with it. Check the game settings too, it might be trying to use the wrong connection to hook up to the internet.

------------------

My Photography

Thread Information