Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: WIN 98 time clock keeps changing

Post WIN 98 time clock keeps changing

My WIN 98 time clock on the lower tool bar wont keep the right time..it keeps changing the months and hours. Is this a bad motherbaord back up battery and how can I correct theis problem for sure?
    Thanks.

Sounds like the cmos battery (looks like a big watch battery) which is located on the motherboard...write down the numbers on the battery, or check the manual since it may tell you what battery you need, and then replace it...

Follow all the standard "working inside your computer guidelines" and you'll be fine...
    When all else fails, read the instructions.

Microsoft Knowledge Base

Drivers

Google

Can I remove the battery and take it to the store to buy a replacement without the motherboard CMOS becoming corrupt or lost?
    Thanks.

Originally posted by hiredgoonz:
    Sounds like the cmos battery (looks like a big watch battery) which is located on the motherboard...write down the numbers on the battery, or check the manual since it may tell you what battery you need, and then replace it...

Follow all the standard "working inside your computer guidelines" and you'll be fine...

Lightbulb

Not unless your are really fast...it usually only takes a couple of minutes for the cmos to leap back to default with the battery out. Go into your BIOS settings and either write the info down or try to print the screenshots. Don't forget there are usually quite a few sub menus on each page so there are a lot of settings to record.
    Is this pc networked per chance? I'm having a similar problem on a Dell Dimension 4100 (new Sep 2000), 800MHz, 128MB RAM, Win 98 SE, Norton SystemWorks 2001 networked to an AST Advantage 818, Intel Advanced/MA mobo, Win 95a (Y2K compliant BIOS), 80MB RAM using a custom-made crossover instead of a hub. I only see the problem when the network is fuzzy (have to actually "find" the other pc) and it has only happened 3 or 4 times. I contacted Dell about possible causes/solutions...the tech was real helpful and pointed out the network as a likely source. He advise me to disconnect from the network and let it go for a couple of days (I haven't tried it yet as this is minimal prob currently). My prob is consistent as the year only changes by one from 2001 to 2002. I noticed it when I got a notice from the NAV that the virus definitions subscription had expired.
    Troubleshooting the clock has become an involved undertaking as there are actually three diff clocks on today's pc: CMOS, Real Time Clock and Operating System clock. I don't quite grasp it all yet so I have been hesitant to reply to the other post related to clock problems. MS has an in depth explanation and I believe a TS guide in the Knowledge Base.
    For you...I hope changing the battery works though
    Keep us posted...I'm starting to see this more often and it may help with troubleshooting to have numerous situations.

------------------
    Jerry

Thread Information