Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Backed Up 95os HD To my new computer 98se os BUT I can't get it workHelp

Question Backed Up 95os HD To my new computer 98se os BUT I can't get it workHelp

I had older computer which had '95 OS. So I backed up all the hard drive information to my new computer which has 98se OS, but I can't get the application to run. All I see is whole bunch of folders after restoring to my desktop. Someone please help how do I convert this folder icons to the Original application Icons and get it to run.

Replied:- (How did you go about backing it up? If you didn't get the registry keys, then you're in trouble... you can't just run a program as is. And what do you mean by restoring it to your desktop?)

I meant to say restoring it from BACKUP WIZARD to alternate location, which I chose as My Doucument folder. And this is on my new computer (running 98se OS) where I had the data backed Up from the older hard drive(running 95 OS).

I'm going to GUESS here that you Backed Up all of your data AND PROGRAMS from the old Win 95 machine and restored that information to a New system with Win 98 on it. You were shocked to learn that Microsoft Word (for example) didnt open on the new machine....sound about right?? You can transfer DATA (as in Documents or Data from a Database or Pictures, etc) from one computer to another, BUT NOT PROGRAMS....They must be reinstalled on the new machine for the transfered information to be seen or accessed. Win 95 & 98 install Programs in several different directories so the programs can "work" together (as in cut & paste, etc) so it isnt a matter of just copying the primary directory over to another machine for it to work.....I dont think it can be done any other way than to reinstall the program associated with whatever data you move.

------------------
    "As hard as a rock & dumb as a brick"...Windows CEMeNT
    XP didn't save Me !

It can be done if you are using a program like Norton's Ghost (or some other drive imaging program) to do the transfer, but it has to be done to a separate partition on the new drive. Even still you may not get all the applications to work. You would also have to fiddle with default locations and directories once you got them to work, so in the long run it would probably be easier and safer for your sanity to reinstall the apps and then just transfer the data.

Or if there is nothing you really want on the new machine you can set up a new partition put the old stuff there and reinstall 98 after the transfer. If that is what you want then you need a drive image program and someone here should be able to go through the exact steps to do it.

Post back with some specs on your machines and what you'd like to do.

------------------
    mjc
    To ME or NOT to ME....
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

If you "Ghost" the old drive to the new machine.......the NEW machine will have everything on it.....BUT...YOU will be running Win 95 ...cause that's whatis on the old drive . The best plan is to move data and reinstall the programs that the data associates to on the new Win 98 machine....unless someone has come up with a new way to do this.....

------------------
    XP didn't save Me !

I was thinking if he really wants 95 to wipe every thing set up a couple of partitions, "Ghost" it over, reinstall 98 in a dual boot config....but by the time he's done doing all of that he could just reinstall the needed apps and just backup the data.

------------------
    mjc
    To ME or NOT to ME....
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

It would be preferable to reinstall the applications in WIN98SE, but if the application setup programs are not available, COA- Relocate Without Reinstalling, a PC Magazine program, may be able to change Registry keys so that they will run.

------------------
    reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends install Windows ME

COA only works with 16 bit OS's......Win 95\98 are 32 bit as we all know.

------------------
    XP didn't save Me !

If you click the link, you will see it is for COA32.

------------------
    reido@my-deja.com

kss asked if itcould be fixed, well no but we've given suggestions on how to to it, even thogh I started the whole "Ghost" it was just as way of showing that you can set it up with all your stuff intact. Personally I don't think is't worth it. Just reinstall the applications you under 98, add your backed up dataand be done with it.

Reid, thank you for putting in the COA32 link, I was going to suggest it but I couldn't find the link.

------------------
    mjc
    To ME or NOT to ME....

Blog Entries

I haven't been able to test it, so this might be touch and go, but you might be able to run regsvr32 and re-register the programs. It sets keys in the registry for the programs that don't work any more. And maybe for programs that you copy.

Open a DOS box and type regsvr32_filename.ext and it might work. Use a space in place of the underscore ( _ ) used here.

Again, I haven't tested this, never needed to, so try it at your own risk. If you think you need to start over from scratch anyway, maybe it's worth trying just to see, before you reinstall. I don't have anything on here that doesn't work, so I can't test it...

The main problem I think you'll have is that by not actually installing the programs you're not creating the pointers to shared files that are used by more than one program, and the program won't know where to look for those files. They might not even be installed...

------------------
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Hi Reid.........I clicked the link @ COA but I guess I didnt go far enough into it to find the 32 bit program......I'll look again...Thanks!

------------------
    XP didn't save Me !

Windows 95a version ran fat16, fat32 did not come in until the B version of win95.

(learned that the hard way trying to add a harddrive to an old windows95 machine)

------------------
    Pass the coffee and no one gets hurt
    Pass the coffee and no one gets hurt

Originally posted by Randy_tx:
    Hi Reid.........I clicked the link @ COA but I guess I didnt go far enough into it to find the 32 bit program......I'll look again...Thanks!
    This COA 32 link (the same as above) should take you right to it. The download link is at the top of the article.

------------------
    reido@my-deja.com

[This message has been edited by Reid (edited 03-10-2001).]

Thread Information