Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Netscape problem.

Post Netscape problem.

I have Internet Explorer 5.5 set up as my default web browser in IE 5.5's Internet Options. But Netscape Communicator 4.72 opens up automatically in the following two situations: 1. When URL links in MS Outlook e-mail messages are clicked. 2. When Godzilla program can't find the download links for whatever I'm downloading, and a web page loads to show alternative links for the stuff I'm downloading (though in Godzilla properties, IE 5.5 is set up as the default web browser). What can I do so that I keep my Netscape Com on my PC, but not set up as the default web browser?

As you can tell by the lack of responses...not too many on this forum use Netscape! You might try going into the "Preferences" sect. of Netscape browser and see what adjustments you can make.

------------------
    When all else fails...I'm a heck of a parts swapper!
    XP didn't save Me !

Blog Entries

Been wondering about this one and can't find anything about it. I think the problem may be in the something like 200 registry entries Netscape creates or changes. You can override the one that sets itself as default browser and email client by resetting IE to defaults, but not for opening alternate links. I think you may have to dig into the registry for that one, but I'm not sure where to look...

You might try some searching with a search engine or two and see if anything turns up. I tried "Netscape troubleshooting" and Internet Explorer and Netscape troubleshooting" and didn't find anything useful. Used Google.

------------------
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

I used GoZilla for a while, didn't like it too well, kept wanting use Netscape and I didn't have it installed so all sorts of registry errors. I think that the only way to finally resolve it is to get rid of either or both, Netscape and GoZilla. I seem to remember that in the options of GoZilla that there were several places where it could be configured to use Netscape have you foun all of them?

------------------
    mjc
    To ME or NOT to ME....
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Hi I have both Netscrape and IE and do not have this problem, IE is my default and so is OE- is your default mail app IE ot Netscrape??

**I do however have version 4.73

------------------
    "Remember your 'unique'... just like everyone else!"

Thread Information