Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Help!! Installation Corrupt

Unhappy Help!! Installation Corrupt

Help ,please ,I get home after a 6 day absense
    and my wifes HP (celly 500,384 ram,30ghdd ,win 98se)
    Gives error message INSTALL CORRUPT REINSSTALL.
    oR SOME SUCH NONSENSE. I get C:\Windows\System\VSHINIT.VDX
    missing. Required DLL Files
    WSOCK32.DLL not found. Sens.DLL at 0167-77f3a99b.
    So I pop in the HP recover disk and reboot it .
    Nojoy , it works about 2 hrs. And I get about six
    illegal operation faults.To many , bam reboot ,
    INSTALL CORRUPT ,yada,yada. Third time not a charm!
    Help & Thanks
    BOB

Every time I look at that VSHINIT.VDX Me thinks you got Virus Some one will know more about this hang in.I'm going to look at some other of these
    message errors you got/// That is a virtual device driver Did some one try to Uninstall a program///any way you can run a Virus scan?
    can you get into safe mode or the Bios/did all this happen before or after post?

[This message has been edited by YODA74 (edited 10-02-2001).]
    Want my weapons molon labe

Not certain about this but when I had McAfee Anti-Virus installed I had LOTS of probs. This was one of the errors that came up very regularaly. So do you have McAfee installed? if so try uninstalling it from within Safe mode. To ensure proper uninstallation of it contact Network Associates (MCAfee) for full uninstall instructions, as it has a habit of leaving quite a lot of files behind. Since throwing McAfee in the bin I have never had this problem again. And yes I know VXD is a virtual device driver.

------------------
    Ernie
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

THANKS for the reply ,YODA. Igot Symantec W32 Nimda
    Fix Tool to run, but Mcafee woundn't work! Many more
    error Messages.The only proggie added was guard Dog.
    I ran the recover prog. again still,another error .
    Rundll init.protecdtion fault-Module Wintrust.dll.
    OH BOY,Well some one will know .
    Thanks again,
    BOB

delet the following from Regedit:
    1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Mcafee\Safe& Sound\Files
    2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\current control set\services\VXD\FBWin98
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Helix Software\Safe && Sound
    Of course only delete the highlighted folder or item found in the last item in each string above after exporting the entry to another folder for safe keeping.

Note: walking in the registry is not for the faint hearted.

Don't do this until some one confirms this I'm sure I have it wrong some where?
    this is just a sample it may not be exact but gives you an idea

------------------
    What have I gotten my self Into now (ROFLMAO)

[This message has been edited by YODA74 (edited 10-02-2001).]

Damfino
    I have the full uninstall instruction for McAfee. These came from McAfee and are the official removal instructions, there are about 4 pages. If you want them I will mail them to you. I have zipped them up so size is only about 6kb. Problems can arise if you have installed over the top of an older version, or just simple re-installed over the top of existing. Thier progs are not backward compatable, nor will they accept re-installation without full un-install, this includes all VXD's and DLL files associated and shared by the virus-scan program and left behind in the registry. This is what I was told by McAfee technicians before I finally dumped it. Also the technicians that I spoke to strongly advise that you DO NOT enable "Safe & Sound" as this can cause a lot of problems.

------------------
    Ernie
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

Hey ,Ernie that sounds like what I need!
    So if you could email them ,that would be great.
    gwbuffalo33@aol.com
    Thanks , BOB

sure would like to know what kind of problems it will cause it seemed to work on my neighbors puter?? for future reference I need to know pls.

------------------
    What have I gotten my self Into now (ROFLMAO)

Update! I removed every trace of Mcafee.
    Rebooted, everything seems back to normal!
    Well as normal as AOL gets,lol
    So a big THANKS to every one!!
    BOB

Damfino If you want I will still send the file for future reference. Als you might be suprised at what yu have left behind. Did you search the Registry for "Network Associates" "McAfee" "Virus" Viruss" "Safe and Sound"

Yoda - Briefly as follows.
    When all settings enabled - Would only go as far as DOS boot screen and freeze after doing boot scan
    Safe and sound Disabled - Would boot throught to desktop, but move either mouse or touch keyboard and everything would freeze, press re-set button to reboot
    Disable ScreenScan (Technicians recomend this as well) See above S&S
    There was\is another setting that I tried disabling but cannot remember just now. This allowed me to boot up OK and Windows ran OK until I tried to connect to the net. Kept getting port open error message.
    Keep it installed but disable it and every thing was OK.
    After connecting to the net if I re-enabled Vscan I got disconnected from net.
    There were another couple of things but cannot remember all off hand. Will look out the details and send them to you if I can find them.
    Since getting rid of McAfee All the above problems and a couple of others dissapeared.
    Solutions I tried were "New Modem" Re-install Windows (in excess of 10 times as McAfee kept saying baad installation of Windows) Different versions (All between 5.13 - 5.21, Full installs not upgrades) of McAfee. Install \Uninstall McAfee lost count of times. It was during this phase that I was told that you cannot install over the top of existing installation as it causes the above probs. And that there would probably be files left behind in the regisrty and that I would have to clean the out by hand or they would cause the above probs. The probs even occured when there was only a basic setup (bare bones and no devices except what was required to ge the comp working) These probs occured on two different computers. This one (AMD) and Pent3 both with different software\hardware. I can send you the uninstall instructions at some point i the future if you need them (or just now)

------------------
    Ernie
    Ernie

Henry Ward Beecher

Thread Information