Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Odd Windows XP Error

Post Odd Windows XP Error

My Aunt called a few minutes ago, asking about an error she encountered.

She went to www.educateu.com and on the right it says, "Register Now". She clicked on the link and it opens a new window and shows nothing. Just the frame of the window. If you close the new window, it comes up with an error reporting box. If you sit there and wait, it closes internet explorer completely.

Another website is www.weather.com. She typed in her Zip Code at the top, and it comes up with a new page, and then just closes. But, if she types in her city name, it opens fine.

It also happens on other numerous sites, where a new window pops up or something. Anyone know how to fix it? She has Windows XP Home....it's a Dell and its a brand new computer. 512mb RAM, GeForce 2 MX etc... And she downloaded all the Windows Updates. She said it started happening after she downloaded the Windows Updates. Thanks for your help.

Exclamation

i've noticed some issues myself after IE6 came out ( IE6 is native to XP ), best i can find is that since IE6 is using some of the new XML encoding's ( and originally didn't have java support ) these are what's cxausing the problems. Especially with websites that haven't updated their site's codes.

Not much i can suggest to help her out except maybe try an alternate browser like Netscape or Opera.

------------------
    iisbob

CPU= 5mhz
    Memory= 16 K
    Storage=10.2MB's
    Video=Onboard S3 4K
    Modem=14.4 baud
    Sound=ISA Yamaha 8bit
    Mouse=2 button MS
    Monitor=ACER 12.5"
    OS= WIN 3.1

My ultimate gaming system
    iisbob

Read in a message board of a local BBS: "I try to avoid using Microsoft. That's why I use MS-DOS."

Question

I have not experienced this.

On the first site I did as you described above and it worked as it is supposed to.

same with the second link, no errors, no 'empty screens'.

I'm running winXP Pro, 256 sdram, Athlon T-Bird @ 800mhz (model 4 slot A)full 256 L2 cache, IE 6.0.2600, so it isn't any type state of the art/up to date anymore but so far no problems really at all- upgrading from win98se.

sorry this doesn't help you much.

had you tried here?

------------------
    sea1_69@hotmail.com

homepage

XP Rocks!

[This message has been edited by sea69 (edited 01-20-2002).]

Originally posted by sea69:
    I have not experienced this.

On the first site I did as you described above and it worked as it is supposed to.

same with the second link, no errors, no 'empty screens'.

I'm running winXP Pro, 256 sdram, Athlon T-Bird @ 800mhz (model 4 slot A)full 256 L2 cache, IE 6.0.2600, so it isn't any type state of the art/up to date anymore but so far no problems really at all- upgrading from win98se.

sorry this doesn't help you much.

had you tried here?

me too...but my aunt's computer seems not to work
    i even netmeet'd with her and used her computer and sure enough it does it.....mines fine tho

I just gave them a try also. And the links worked.
    I also check the properties of the register now link,
    Itís is a java script. ( IE doesnít directly support Java any more)

Itís a good bet the problem is with the way java is being handled in her copy of IE
    What plugin is handling it and if it is enabled.
    What the security settings are for handling scripts.

These are only suggestions of where to start looking.
    Sorry I canít give you exact details. Or what to check or change

------------------
    To ERR is HUMAN
    To REALLY screw things UP, YOU NEED a COMPUTER !

I think Rick may have hit it. Here is the Sun Java downlink for XP. Microsoft has a Java Virtual Machine download available, but it is a four year-old version (story here.)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Reid (edited 01-21-2002).]

she has Java installed....i went to a site with a Java Applet and it showed up. She got it in the Windows Update. Oh well..

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.c...TOKEN=31347737 Have a look at this link they've got over 90 postings on this going back 3 months, there are some solutions that have worked for some people too.

------------------
    mike
    mike

Thread Information