Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Want to format HD

Post Want to format HD

I want to format my hard disk.
    I am currently RUNNING windows XP.

I have downloaded a program that spans 6 disks called "XP start-up disk".
    Please note I have found out that this only aids in the configuration of Windows XP.

I have backed up all required stuff, including info from diaries, memos etc.
    Please offer help for only how to "format HD with current version of XP running".
    This was very easy in older operating sytems by windows.

put the Win XP disk in the cd-rom and change your boot up order so that it boots from your cd-rom first. when it boots up it will show a black screen with wrighting in the top left hand corner, when you see this press any key quick, follow it through, it will let you repartition then format in FAT32 or NTFS.

as to this> "format HD with current version of XP running". i dont know.

forgive me, im young. Jiggy
    Sometimes your the pigeon, sometimes your the stache.

I am in deep mire.
    I have two hard disk. I formated one hard disk with disk utilities on floppy. I decided I would do the latter after I had installed the OS and thus be able to also copy any remaining pertinent data. I am 99% certain I backed-up all relevant data on both hard disk but one can never be to sure???

Anyway I was banking on the more easier option of formating the disk by right clicking on the disk and selecting format as one would do to a floppy.

Now I am in a state of bother. My second disk was brought last year and so thus quadraple my previous older HD, now I do not have access to it at all.

I have installed Win 98 on the first HD. Whilst installing I got the message "Setup has detected NTFS on the partition (i.e second hard disk) these files will not be accessible to you". At this point I foolishly ignored the message with disasterous consequences. Now I have Win98 installed but do not have access to my larger hard disk. What can I do?

Plea for help.

Thread Information