Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Outlook 98

Question Outlook 98

Hi,
    I am having the darnedest time figuring out how to stop Outlook 98 from
    creating icons in the task bar. I am running W95-C w/IE 5.5(IE is not
    in task bar or desktop, Netscape fan here, 4.73). The outlook icon sits
    on the desktop but not in my task bar. I thought I had solved the
    problem by removing the outlook icon from the quick launch folder. This has done no good since the pesky little fellow creates himself whenever I
    launch outlook. These are the property values for the task bar nuisance:
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE"/recycle

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks
    Randy

I don't know anything about Outlook. I spent some time on the web searching for any insights on this issue, but was unsuccessful. Anyone else out there have any ideas?

This is the kind of thing we'll be able to answer better when we have more readers using the forums.

------------------
    Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide
    A comprehensive, comprehensible guide to TCP/IP protocols and technologies...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

I was not aware that windows 95 has a quick launch tool bar. Do you have windows 95 plus? I thought I heard of somethihng like that offering quick launch tool bar. At any rate, if it happens when you open outlook 98, then it is likely in the tools or options menu to do so in outlook. I use Outlook 2000, I never liked the previous versions of Outlook at all. If you dont' want to use Outlook, just unistall it, and use Outlook Express as second email program if you are using Netscape.

------------------
    Joe Redd
    MCP
    Joe Redd

I'll have better information for you when/if I go home (I'm at work), but ReddDogg is right; you need to find the option that says something about notifying and disable all of it: no sound, no pop-up, no system tray icon. Then, you will be free.

As for the Win95 thing, if you had Win95 and then installed IE 4.0 (or was it 4.1?), then you would be prompted to go the MS website and download a bunch of multimedia enhancements, which were essentially the whole Active Desktop bull**** from MS, including the system tray thingie.

That link still works, for anyone running 95 and wanting the enhancements found in 98. Just ask, I will provide, if'n you want.

------------------
    ***He who eats when he is full, digs his grave with his teeth***
    ***He who eats when he is full, digs his grave with his teeth***

Thumbs up

Thanks guys for your suggestions. Actually I want to keep outlook, but hate the icon generating trickery now. The windows enhancments link would be killer der King. I will probe my settings to see if making tools adjustments will do the trick RD. Much appreciated.

Randy

Thread Information