Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Ghost -- how to automate

Post Ghost -- how to automate

Hi,

I know next to nothing about DOS; but after some fiddling around I have got a boot disk running ghostpe 2001 and doing what I want automatically, except:

1. I'd like to get past the only need for interaction left: a confirmation screen that asks if I want to proceed with the dump.

2. I wonder if there is a way to run Ghost on a scheduler so it boots to DOS and runs without interaction, and

3. (Am I dreaming?) then shuts down my computer.

Any tips appreciated!

phenarius

It might be possible because Ghost can be ran from a "DOS" window under Windows 9X.

To try it you'll need to creat a new .BAT file with the same commands as before and place it on your computer's harddrive. Then have the scheduler run that BAT file.

Try that first before you add the shut down feature.

Go here for details on how to shut down via a batch(BAT) file.
    Q234216

Don't forget to look at your other post where I answered the other questions you posted a few days ago.

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by Ghost_Hacker (edited 02-27-2002).]
    Ferengi Rules of Acquistion:
    Rule # 47
    Don't trust a man wearing a better suit than your own.

Yes indeed, you did answer my other post too -- thanks, GH. And I have one more minor question there, also. (I have switched to this forum since I now know my questions are software-, not system-related.)

BTW, I noticed I signed my other nic (phenarius) to the above post. Sorry, I use that one also. What is Really scary is that I don't always know who I am even in non-cyberspace ;-)

I'll try your suggestions re the DOS window -- but haven't I read that Ghost can't reliably image a partition containing a running OS? And the first partition of C is where my OS is, and that is what I want to dump to an image file...

edelran

Yes, there is the possiblity that it won't work. (It doesn't work for NT for instance) and the documentation stresses that the dos window method works best for the source computer. But it's still might be worth trying just to see what happens.
    Ferengi Rules of Acquistion:
    Rule # 47
    Don't trust a man wearing a better suit than your own.

Thanks. I will do that. It may be a while before I get to try it out, OS malfunctions being uppermost in my mind. (Folks, if you are happy with IE5.5, steer clear of IE6.0, at least for now. My 2 cents.)

edelran

Thread Information