Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Error 0x800ccc79 in Outlook 2000

Post Error 0x800ccc79 in Outlook 2000

Hi everyone!!

got another problem with Outlook 2000. I'm trying to send an e-mail with an attachment but an error message shows up saying: "can't send the message because one recipients was rejected by the server" and this error 0x800ccc79 shows.

I've tried to send myself an e-mail without an attchment, it goes through.

I've changed the connection settings because I changed to cable and Outlook was dialing up my old connection to retrieve my mails. Could that be?

thanks for any help!!

A little rectification: It seems like I can't send e-mails at all (with or without attchment!!)...

Any suggestions??

------------------
    Don't know much, but is trying!!!

[This message has been edited by Lau (edited 04-09-2002).]

Unhappy

Nobody wants to help??
    The problem is really getting annoying...

------------------

First I need to say. I do not use Outlook Express.
    So I canít tell you where in Outlook to change or check the setting

What I would check first is the SMTP server settings
    This is the normal Send Mail ..

The Receive mail is Normally Controlled By POP server

For example the settings for both may look like below
    pop-server.Your isp name.com
    smtp-server.Your isp name.com

Or some variation of this.

Lau
    Are you using "OUTLOOK" or "OUTLOOK EXPRESS"? As they are different programs

Does the recipent of your mail allow attachments to be recieved? A lot of places are now blocking some attachments due to virii. Try Zipping the attachment or changing the 3 digits after the "." (and inform the recipient about the change) this might allow you to send the file. I have also read somewhere about Outlook having a security setting that blocks certain attachments. Someone else will either confirm or put me right on the last part.

------------------
    Ernie
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

I would think you should check that your Mail account is using your Broadband to access its Mail Servers. Alternatively revert to your original DialUp and don't connect to the Broadband (if you can) just to see if it is still working normally.

------------------
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul
    "For a Pandora's box upgrade to IE6 (IEsicks that is)"
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Rick, the SMTP and POP server settings are correct... That already got me once for a stupid thing, so I checked that first!!

ErnieK, I am using Outlook (not OE).
    I figured out that all e-mails are blocked (with or without attachment). And they are not going out to people are regularly send e-mail to.

Paul, I thinkg you're right.
    I changed the connection settings from Connect using my phone line to Connect using IE's or 3rd party dialer. The only one left is Connect using LAN <- Obvisouly I don't want that!!
    If I leave the settings as they were I end up having to use my old dial-up connection (I can retrieve and send in that case), but I don't want to have to do that.

You're saying:
    I would think you should check that your Mail account is using your Broadband to access its Mail Servers.
    I do I do that?????

Thanks a lot to all of you for your reply!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Lau (edited 04-12-2002).]

The only one left is Connect using LAN <- Obvisouly I don't want that!!
    I think you might - unless you have a "dialup cable". But don't ask me how to configure it - we wont have cable/broadband here for many years to come.

Not sure if "I do I do that?????" means you have solved the problem.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Paul Komski (edited 04-12-2002).]
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Nope I didn't do that... I actually didn't unbderstand what you meant by "check that your Mail account is using your Broadband to access its Mail Servers."
    And how do I do it?

I don't have a dial up cable... I just turn the big white box on and there I am!!

I tried to change the connection settings to LAN, but it doesn't work either!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Lau (edited 04-13-2002).]

Lau maybe I got hold of the wrong end of the stick!

You showed the error code in the subject line - but is it the full description of the error?; if there is a more complete message it could help in any troubleshooting.

How big was the attachment because I seem to remember posts where a large attachment has got "stuck in the system" and jammed up the works. Presumably this is a POP3 mail account; is it possible to access it directly from a website and get to see what may be sitting in it. BTW are you able to receive eMails using Outlook at the moment.

I don't know if it would be worth trying to setup an account, temporarily, using OE and see if that worked. If it did it would indicate that this was a specific Outlook problem.

From a little searching around I have seen that some broadbands need you to change the domain name of your email-address/reply-address field(s); I don't know it this would apply to your provider.

Perhaps you could post the name of your cable supplier and hopefully someone who already uses it will know much more about any configurations etc.

------------------

Paul
    First, here is the whole message:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. Server response: '550 <e-mail of recipient>... Relaying denied'. (Account: 'Northeastern', SMTP server: smtp.dac.neu.edu, Error number: 0x800ccc79).

I just removed the e-mail address of my friend, but that's exactly how it appears otherwise.

Second, you're right: I can receive e-mails but not send. And the attachment don't make a difference: I can't send them at all. I always can't go on a website. Although when I'm not on my computer and I need to see what mail I got, I open a Telnet thing. That's the only way I can retrieve beside using Outlook.

The account on OE didn't work better!!!

I'll try to contact both my cable provider (AT&T) and my university (where the account comes from) to see if they know what to do!!

Thank you Paul for your help though!!

YES!!!! It was the stupidest thing ever... I had to change the SMTP server settings to the AT&T settings... cause I was still using the one from my old connection. It makes sense, I can't send e-mails to a server that I'm not connected to

------------------

[This message has been edited by Lau (edited 04-14-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Lau (edited 04-14-2002).]

Thread Information