Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: proper computer temperature

proper computer temperature

Hello everyone. I was looking for some reliable information on what the proper range for the temperature of a system and CPU should be. I've heard some values but am not sure what to believe. I heard that the system should not go over 113F. Never heard what temp. the CPU should be though. Where can I find reliable values?? Everyone seems to say something different.

Also, Im using a 300W power supply and am wondering if I should be using a more powerful one. My system has a 2Ghz processor, a 7200 RPM HD, a CD-RW, a 12X DVD-ROM, 256 MB of DDR-RAM, 5 PCI cards. I heard that if u have alot of expansion cards the p/s won't be able to provide enough power and will overheat. That true??

One final question, when I start my system it says I dont have a 80 conductor cable on the primary master. What exactly is the difference between that cable and a regular one and should I go get one??

Thanks in advance everybody!!!

BiLL

136%F is only 58%C not hot at all a 113%F is only 45%C that is good for you.But is this your Idle temp. or Load temp?

300w good size PSU but don't add any more componets if your into gaming then go 400w or more
    Want my weapons molon labe

You never said what temp your CPU is running at. I assume this is a Pentium 4 since you are running at 2 GHz. Sometimes the temps are reported in BIOS. Try and see if you can give us a reading.

Maximum temp for P4 2 GHz is listed as 68C. by Intel. I would guess a good operating temp would be anything less than 50C.

IDE cables come as 40 conductors or 80 conductors. The 80 cond cables are needed for faster data transfers from ATA 66, 100, and 133 hard drives.

Look inside your case at the cable connected to your hard drive. Count the number of conductors. If it is 40 then you need to get an 80 conductor cable. If it is 80, then the cable may be defective and I would first try another 80 conductor cable.
    Sandman

Blog Entries

Re: proper computer temperature

My system has a 2Ghz processor, a 7200 RPM HD, a CD-RW, a 12X DVD-ROM, 256 MB of DDR-RAM, 5 PCI cards. I heard that if u have alot of expansion cards the p/s won't be able to provide enough power and will overheat. That true??
    Expansion cards aren't very power hungry. The biggest drains on your power supply are the CPU, graphics card (if you have an AGP one), RAM, hard drive, and to a lesser extent your CD/DVD drives (when burning/playing CD's & DVD's). Your PCI expansion cards tend to be very efficient because 1) they don't require insanely high-end processors, and 2) they aren't used on a constant basis. Your sound card may be dishing out 32 streams of 3D positional EAX2 sounds/voices while playing a Jedi Outcast fight scene, but it sure doens't do much while you surf the net. Your NIC, on the other hand, is active when playing multiplayer and surfing the net, but it isn't really that complicated. My NIC is the smallest expansion card I have! Maybe an uber-expensive, professional-level digital video editing card would draw enough juice to be noticeable, but again, only when you're using it.

Don't worry about your expansion cards, just tell us what graphics card you have. If it's a GF3 or 4, then I'd suggest moving up to a 400 Watter.

When I check my BIOS it usually says that both my system and CPU are running at about 38 or 39 Celsius. If Intel says the limit is 68 then Im golden I guess. But what about the system??? Has anyone come up with a definitive answer as to what the operating temperature of a system should be. Like I said mine is about 38, 39 Celsius. I have a 300W P/S with the standard fan. A CPU fan of course. A fan over the north bridge chip. A generic 80MM fan in the front of the case drawing air in. And finally a system cooler installed over 1 of my PCI slots that blows air out the back. Its installed in 1 of the upper expansion slots. I figured the higher the better since the airflow of a case goes from bottom-front to top-back. Is this enough cooling do u think? Is my airflow setup good? Should I add an extra fan in the back?

By the way, I don't have an AGP card as of now. So I guess my 300W P/S is good for now then eh? When I do get an AGP card should I get a 400 Watter? I am planning on getting an AGP 4x 128MB off DDR that also supports TV In/Out. Anyone have any suggestions on what to get that will meet my requirements?

Thanks in advance everyone!

BiLL

Blog Entries
    I am planning on getting an AGP 4x 128MB off DDR that also supports TV In/Out. Anyone have any suggestions on what to get that will meet my requirements?[/B]
    Hmmm... a graphics card recommendation, eh? Just pop on over to the Buying & Upgrading section and post that question. You should have about 20 replies instantly!

We have a lot of fun spending other people's money!

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    For the PSU I'd say cover yourself. You can do this relatively inexpensively with a 500W PowMax from Leadman Electronics. Purchased one myself from Computer Geeks for $47.00 + nominal s/h.

Again, this one came highly recommended. Have a Look-see!
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

Cro:

Your 300 Watt PSU is probably fine. When you get your AGP card, if you are having problems, unexpected crashes, reboots, then you might want to upgrade it, but I think you'll be okay.

Stop worrying so much and enjoy your system. Your temps are fine.
    Last edited by gwallen4; 07-12-2002 at 07:25 PM.
    Sandman

Thread Information