Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: totaly newbee

Question totaly newbee

I would like to set up a wireless sys with 3 computers and connect to a broadband. What is a good choice,that wont cost an arm and a leg. Second is is possible to have it set up so any of the sys can go onto the internet by themselves?

Hi Ken_R

I don't know what your definition of "an arm and a leg" is, but I have had good luck with A Linksys router to achieve what you want.
    I haven't used their wireless models, but have heard they work well.

Here is a link to their site that also has a little tab called "educate me".
    Don't run out just yet and buy everything though, as there are sure to be other opinions comming your way soon!
    ~ I had a life once...Now I have a computer and a modem ~

netgear ethernet HUB with room to plug in 3 computers:

$49.00 (us)

plug it in and go- no need to use M$ ICS (micro$oft internet connection sharing).

can you say "hubba bubba"??

I have it and it worked so easy I thought something was wrong.

I'm using a Linksys EthterFast Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router with 4-port Switch, cost $100. And a wireless USB Network Adapter, cost $100. You can go with a Router with out cable ports and save some money. There is a PCI wireless adapter that cost less as well. The USB is much easyer to setup. I have two computers sharing cable Internet. Works great, just as fast as with direct cable connected. The only negative thing I can say is that file transfers between your computers are slower but I find that too be no big deal. I recommend that you setup everything (read the instructions) and call tech support and they'll be glad to step you through the configurations on line.

Thread Information