Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Zone Alarm Free 3.1.291

Zone Alarm Free 3.1.291

Zone Alarm 3.1.291 (free version) is now available to existing users. Just click on the Zone Alarm icon in the system tray and locate the check for updates. This will lead you to the d/l page.
    Just remember to shut the true vector service (do not load it at start up) when installing. From what i've heard you can just upgrade or do a uninstall and install. The new version comes with a complete new GUI. Some may like it, or may not. The only note is the new version's MAIL SAFE PROTECTION ONLY protects against .vbs whereas the previous versions protected 37 types. It was a "bug" Zone Labs had overlooked and had not "fixed it" until this version (3.1.291)
    Enjoy

for every question there's an answer. Then a load more questions.

Definition of Upgrade "A means of introducing new bugs to a program to replace the ones that you have eventually found fixes for"

Regards..,
    Vic.

Vic,

Yes I have just quickly read that post. Zone Alarm has always been and always willl be a b*tch to uninstall. I'm sorry guys and gals, I should of been more explicit in my note on the Mail Safe feature. So if anybody reads this post about the new version read the thread Vic 970 has posted before you decide to "upgrade".

_________
    Ron

Well I have tried both the 2.6 and the "pro" version and i had to uninstall the thing as it was blocking to many programs and I was finding controlling it was taking up too much of my time. So now Iam back to the "simple" free version 2.6
    ASUS A7N8X-deluxe nforce2 mobo,
    AMD XP1800+,
    512MB DDR2700,
    geforce FX5700 ultra AGPx8 128MB,
    80GB WD HDD,
    Windows XP pro

Hi Philzee,

did you have any probs un-installing?

Definition of Upgrade "A means of introducing new bugs to a program to replace the ones that you have eventually found fixes for"

Regards..,
    Vic.

I didn't seem to have any problems as far as I recall, but I have always disabled the mailsafe feature since the first time it "quarantined" a perfectly safe attachment due to "possible risk" and I could not get at it. but I find that norton anti-virus works for me and I never needed the mailsafe feature.
    ASUS A7N8X-deluxe nforce2 mobo,
    AMD XP1800+,
    512MB DDR2700,
    geforce FX5700 ultra AGPx8 128MB,
    80GB WD HDD,
    Windows XP pro

did you have any probs un-installing? Vic970, I uninstalled Zone Alarm (new version) because it was a resource hog and my pc would not shut down for a long time and even when booting it would take a long time, and page loading was much slower.My pc now Shutdown great and much faster surfing, But I did notice i still have a couple of ZA items in the Registry! I want to get rid of them too! What do you think? a back up and delete them? Tom

tom,

try easy cleaner to clear out your reg, it makes a backup automatically. (but you can easily make a reg backup 1st to be doubly safe)

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...d,16180,00.asp

and it's freeware

Regards..,
    Vic.

Thanks Vic, I will try it, probably in the morning in case i have any problems. I have to leave the computer in a short while. Will let you know how it turns out. Tom

I have done at least 4 upgrades using ZApro. I've never uninstalled anything and never had any problems. Booting on and off may be very slightly longer if you have it set up to load at startup; I only open it when I am about to dialup and its always in place before the connection is made. Once you have "allowed" a program access it sits there in the background just doing its stuff. Hardly even notice it - until it IS needed.

It's effect on download speeds is minimal (about 5%) and one paradoxical effect that I am begining to form an impression about is that my dialup is more stable, when using ZA. Don't ask me why - but fewer disconnects and "can't connect to server" messages!
    Last edited by Paul Komski; 08-13-2002 at 07:39 PM.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thread Information