Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: refresh rate at startup

Question refresh rate at startup

I have just replaced my old 15" monitor (that was making a helluva lot of high frequency noise) with a 17" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 740SB. I have absolutely no complaints about the picture quality, it is superb to say the least. HOWEVER, I have noticed that when I start my machine, once the Windows desktop loads the refresh rate has switched back to 60hz. A this setting I often notice flickering around the edge of the screen. What is even stranger is that when I reinstall the drivers for my Geforce 2 GTS gfx card the system loads at an optimal refresh rate of 100hz....

Why does the display keep loading at 60hz when it appears to be just as comfortable at 100hz.

Additional info - 1.2Ghz Athlon, 256Mb RAM, Monitor and gfx as above, refresh rate is currently 1024x768 high Colour. I have run the monitor at 1600x1200@85hz but i quickly switched back due to the microscopic size of objects being displayed!!
    I Love Heavy Music

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 2.4Ghz
    cooled with a Zalman Flower Cooler CNPS6000-CU & 6 case fans!!
    (suprisingly its not that noisy)
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0
    1Gb (matched pair) Kingmax DDR433
    120Gb Seagate Baracuda
    60Gb IBM Deskstar GXP120
    256Mb Radeon 9800Pro
    XP Home

Which version of DirectX are you running

with your system?

Have you checked to see if there is an

updated/better set of drivers available

for the Vid Card?

RD.
    It ain't over 'till the Fat Lady sings.....

DirectX 8.1 and the most up to date detonator drivers I could get my hands on
    I Love Heavy Music

120Gb Seagate Baracuda
    60Gb IBM Deskstar GXP120
    256Mb Radeon 9800Pro
    XP Home

When you re installed your GF2 card's drivers and it sets at 100Hz, what does it set the resolution at?

Have you tried at a res of 1024x768 with a refresh of only 75 or 85 Hz?

It sounds to me like your monitor doesn't like the setting so high.

75 hz is enough to have a flicker free image. Although a higher setting will make those DVD's run nicer and those games too when Vsync is on.

Also what version of Windows?

OS is Win98

The refresh rate has been set at optimal.

The monitor current refresh rate is 100hz - this is what is displayed on the monitors on screen menus.
    I Love Heavy Music

120Gb Seagate Baracuda
    60Gb IBM Deskstar GXP120
    256Mb Radeon 9800Pro
    XP Home

When, exactly is it at 60Hz?

Does it switch to your desired refresh rate when Windows is fully loaded or do you have to switch it back?
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

this is a issue with microsoft and not with your video card. for some reason, the almighty coders at microsoft have set a default refresh rate for all monitors to be set at 60hz, but your one of the first i've heard that this occurs on 98, this is usually an XP and 2000 issue.

http://www.guru3d.com/files/

go to this website and download the program called refresh force, and it should fix your refresh rate to its optimal settings. and while your at it, check out the forums for more in-depth coverage about the refresh rate issue.

give it a try........
    S_K_I

mjc - It usually defaults to 60hz when my windows desktop has fully loaded. When this was happening I was unable to change the refresh rate manually as the refresh rate switch in the advanced display options had disappeared from the adapter tab. I considered this to be very odd indeed, most liekly a conflict between Windows and my display drivers. I then reinstalled the original drivers supplied by Creative with the gfx card.

This brought back the refresh rate switch but only for a few days. I reinstalled the most recent detonator driver release last night and the switch has returned but I do not know how long for!! I'd prefer to use the facility that should be available in windows to control the refresh rate rather than introducing third party software to my system.

I have now fixed the refresh rate at 100hz (while the facility is available!!) and this appears to have sorted the problem out - The computer happily starts and displays at the desired res.

If anyone has any further thoughts, please post them as I wold like to figure out what the most likely cause of the fault was and any other solutions.....OK there is the software fix but I would be open to other suggestions
    I Love Heavy Music

120Gb Seagate Baracuda
    60Gb IBM Deskstar GXP120
    256Mb Radeon 9800Pro
    XP Home

Thread Information