Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: which is faster??

Question which is faster??

which is faster for downloading files??
    thru ftp or the http??

I would say FTP, inherent in the name File Transfer Protocol. But I'm sure there are exceptions.

btw, welcome to the forum

generally, http should be faster, but some FTP's are very fast too... it depends on who is running the FTP.

If it is someone running an FTP from their home computer.. the fastest you will get is only the best upload speed that the client machine(machine running the Server) can achieve.

But, if someone is running it (FXPing) thru a fast connection then the FTP can be as fast if not faster.

in my experience.......

------------------
    sea1_69@hotmail.com

homepage

~

-- Wisconsin, U S A -- Ahh, The Power of Cheese !

Neither protocol is inherently faster in itself, just based on a different concept.

FTP has been around much longer and can be used with DOS browsers. HTTP obviously can't.

FTP servers tend to be larger and less congested, so downloads may seem to complete faster.

You are more likely to be limited by your connection speed than by the protocol.

Just a hint for next time -- Read the 'Tips For Success' when you start any new topic.
    This type of question is more appropriate for the 'How Does This Work' forum.

------------------
    "I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    -- Charles Babbage, mathematician, computer pioneer, analytical engine designer (1791-1871)
    -- (Question: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?')

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand."
    -- Homer Simpson
    "I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    -- Charles Babbage, mathematician, computer pioneer, analytical engine designer (1791-1871)
    -- (Question: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?')

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand."
    -- Homer Simpson

Thumbs up

all right
    thanks for the tips..
    you might wanna include the link next time grand master..

hehe,

Blog Entries

This is one of those toss up questions that would work in either category...

He'd be hard pressed to post a link to the Tips for Success, it's on the page that comes up when you try to post a new topic, in the pinkish bar toward the top. It tells you what basic types of questions are most appropriate for that particular forum.

How Does This Work is another category on the forums, I guess he could post a link, but it's more fun if you look for it...

------------------
    So many idiots, and only six bullets...
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

well I whould say... Http tend to be faster on smaller files...cause it doesn't go through so much login PWD check change to binary, ect ect.. all that FTP things!! but if you measure the speed of a site with the same speed and same ping from the moment you recive your first byte probably its the same..

Thread Information