Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: What is PPPoE address and password and how do I get it?

Question What is PPPoE address and password and how do I get it?

I am hooking up a network with a D-Link DI-704 router and MSN DSL service. However, I am told that I need to configure the router's PPPoE address and password. First of all, I don't know what those are, and neither do the people at MSN (who I was told don't support networking). What are they and how do I acquire them? I should be able to take it from there.
    Just because I'm lost doesn't mean I won't get there eventually.

PPPoE is "Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet" DSL is not always on like cable, you have to use a "fake" dial up software and give the server you are logging into a username and password. The user name and password are supplied by the ISP.

The Router should have PPPoE setting that allows you input the user name and password once into the router and the router will perform the fake dial up function and supply the user name and password to the ISP.

For your router: click here

The Cracked Windshield State aka Colorado
    The router should be accessible through your browser. There should be a drop down menu or something similiar for WAN and then choose PPPoE. Myself my username/password is my main email identity and password.
    Ask me no questions I'll tell you no lies

Smile

I am using a DLink DI-704P router on my home network and when I set up the PPPOE connection I had to put in my username only. It said to only put in the password if you wanted to change it.
    My DSL provider is Bell Canada and the username that they assigned (in the format b1jgst79) was the entry that filled the requirement.
    Hope this helps

Thread Information