Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Win2k can't see win98

Win2k can't see win98

I have a small network (4 comps) set up (Star and P2P) at home with Hub and they have been working well. Last week, one computer (win98) disappeared on the network neighborhood. Yet, it (win98) can see the other computers(1 is win2k, 1 is win95 and 1 is 98 2nd edition). The Win2k ,which was setup for internet sharing through LAN, could not see or browse (mapping) this win98 computer at all. But this win98 is still able of browsing internet using internet sharing through LAN with Win2k. If i go to change this particular win98 ID in its network neighborhood, evrything is fine untill this win98 computer is turned on the next time ( It will disappear again.....). All cables and NICs are cheked and in place with drivers. Any thought out there. Thanks

Have you added any software or hardware to the Win 98 Box?

Please try a different port on the hub.

Also check the lights on the hub and on the NIC to see if there is any excessive activity.

If you have not added anything, I would remove the NIC from the control panel and allow windows to re-install the drivers on re-boot.

Thread Information