Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Windows XP - Automatic Updates - Install or Ignore?

Windows XP - Automatic Updates - Install or Ignore?

I have Windows XP Home Ed. and I often get prompts to install the periodic AUTOMATIC UPDATES. There are currently 5 updates that I've yet to run and my computer reminds me to every 3 days. Just curious, do you guys install each update when it prompts you to? Do you research each one before choosing to? Or do you simply NEVER install the updates, like me? Should I be installing these? Thanks for any replies .

This is a personal choiceREAD the updates and if you think you need it then D/l it. if your machine is running fine don't mess with it.
    If it is a security update "again" READ about the update and what it is for and then decide to d/l or not. Windows is nothing but a big bug factory anyway so usualy you will need some of the up-dates.
    Want my weapons molon labe

Agree with Yoda about the "bug factory" Personally, I try to never update anything Microsoft if I'm not having problems and even less so if they have just produced something new. But then I have a standalone pc and security (although I have fairly good practices) is not as important to me as it would be for a business/corporate environment.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

To tell you the truth I have done all the critical updates all the way from the begining of Win 98 and have never had a problem. Without getting into MS as an operating system, the critical updates are usually there for a reasom. The recommended ones I do only if it pertains to my machine.
    Mark

Hmmm I kind of like that: "Bug Factory"- Seems to fit.

Myself, after reading about them as Yoda suggested, I usually install any "critical" updates involving security. As Mark mentioned, a lot of them are there for a very good reason.
    Call me paranoid, but it can't hurt.
    Again, the main thing is to read the entire article and see what exactly it is you're "fixing"- most of them cannot be uninstalled.
    ~ I had a life once...Now I have a computer and a modem ~

most of them cannot be uninstalled
    exactly!!
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

HeHe...I hear you Paul. I know, M$ can be really irritating.

BTW Jericho- (Just to keep you updated ) In your windows update page under "other options", you can "personalize" what updates windows bugs you about.

I have checked several I know I will never install and when I run it now, I never have to look at them anymore.

ALSO.....(And you may already know this), there is an automatic updates tab in your system properties ("my computer"), where there are several options as to how windows handles auto updates when they are available.

You can shut off Windows update completely, but it would still be a good idea to run it manually occasionally if you do.
    ~ I had a life once...Now I have a computer and a modem ~

Every time I update my XP when it prompt and up to today I did'nt got any problem. My pc is working fine and never get the error massages, I think it is due to updates because when I used win98 (eLigal copy)many time i have to face error massages like, illegal operation, page fault etc, but now in Liecenced xp with regular updates I never had that type of problem. I think it is due to updates, Am I right?

Maybe. Or maybe it's because after three or four years years Microsoft is actually getting the Windows Update thing to work correctly

Originally posted by UPENDRA UPADHYAY
    I think it is due to updates, Am I right?
    The XP core is based on NT/2000. That is why it is more stable.

Thread Information