Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: PC suddenly shuts off

PC suddenly shuts off

I am having a weird problem. My computer shuts off while I am on the web when I click on a link. It doesn't matter where the link is, and it doesn't happen right away. I could be surfing for an hour, or just 5 minutes, when all of a sudden the power cuts out when I click on a link. I can not turn the computer back on until I switch the voltage selector switch a couple of times (sometimes it will power when I set it to 220v and I can then reboot after setting it back to 110v.)
    Help

It's time to test that power supply
    If the only thing you do to get it working again is move the power to 220 then back to 120

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    By the way pmvideo2,

Welcome to Forums!

Rick, do you think that MotherBoard Monitor which has the voltage rail gauges might be able to point out a PSU weakness?
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

I don't know.
    If it holds good voltage then drops and (shuts down or crashes)
    MBM may not help
    But it can't hurt

Rick,

Point well taken....

Chances are that if it is the PSU that a voltage weakness might not show up under inspection.

I checked on MBM5 and there is a voltage drop alarm...however, what are the chances you'd hear the alarm go off alerting you to the problem...if the power was also shut off instantaneously?

But, as you say...couldn't hurt!

I would guess a bad power supply also.
    Funny thing...My sons computer had the same symptoms a while back. He discovered on his own that flipping the voltage switch back and forth would temporarily remedy the problem before he finally got fed up and asked me about it.
    I just happened to have a power supply lying around and it's been fine ever since.

Now, a somewhat related question. (Sorry, maybe this should have been a new thread). Anyway WYZMN, does MBM5 work well?
    I haven't tried it but a friend of mine was playing with it...(He apparently did have a supported MB, as he got some of the stuff to work)

At any rate, last time I knew, he was having a problem deciding which of the sensors on his MB, (detected by MBM), should be related to which "guages"(?). Seems to me he had no documentation to tell what each of the sensors were. They were just a string of numbers, some ending with 'diode', some not.
    He was complaining of ending up with crazy temps and alarms going off...Still experimenting with trying different settings.

I love little funky programs like that, but hesitate to download it after hearing him complain about trying to set it up!
    Is it that difficult?
    Think I'll just continue to check the hardware monitor in my bios now and then instead.
    ~ I had a life once...Now I have a computer and a modem ~

Jabar,

Indeed, one's MotherBoard needs to have the sensors to support using MBM5. The initial setup is pretty much straight forward...as the developer does an admirable job of "easy speak" guiding one through it.

My Asus A7V133 has the two I'm primarily interested in, the MB and CPU temps. It also monitors the two fan speeds I'm interested in CPU and exhaust.

I don't set the alarms initially. After I determine the sensors and links to MBM5s stuff then I go back in at experiment with the alarms etc. As with many programs one just needs to spend the time getting to know their nuances.

MBM5 gets good reviews...

I was recently going back and forth with Yoda searching out the pros and cons of DigitalDoc5 which is more of a hardware solution to monitoring...and a bit of a modding thing. If one's MB only supports a couple sensors or fan speeds...this baby would be the way to go. It sports independent control of fans. No need to be passing current through the MB headers as all plug directly into the DD5...

Looks like they are under $50 delivered...I'm definitely leaning...hehe

I did wind up with a question on my voltage gauges...however, there's always mjc when I get bogged down!

Thanks for the info WMN...
    I may download it and play around just for the heck of it.
    Right now, I have to watch Bledsoe beat the Patriots!
    (Not looking too good so far)

Oh...And pmvideo2 - Good luck!

First thing to do after you install MBM5 is have it check the system. Directions are included.

Then, go to MBM5's site, there is a link within the program. On the main web page, on the left hand side, is a listing of mobo manufactuerers. Find yours, click on it, and then on the right-hand side will be the various motherboards model numbers and information about which sensor is which. Hard to explain here, but you'll see what I mean once you get there.
    This space reserved for highly intelligent observations and witty remarks.

Effort & Courage are not enough without Purpose and Direction.

---- Auther Unknown

Thanks BigBlue!

Sure enough- My MB and corresponding sensor numbers are there. Just downloaded it...Think I'll start "playing" now.

Why my confused friend didn't check for that list is beyond me...Guess I'll give him a call and see how he made out.

Thanks again guys.

Thumbs up It happened to me

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's time to test that power supply
    If the only thing you do to get it working again is move the power to 220 then back to 120
    I agree it happened to me. I would turn on my PC.And it would boot up fine then out of the blue it would just shut off suddenly no warning no error message. I thought it might be my operating system. But before I was going to go through the trouble of reinstalling windows I tested my PC by disconnecting all my drives to see if it would run. And after a minute or two it shut down . That told me it was not windows. So I looked a little closer and heard a funny hissing sound. It was coming from my power supply. So I opened it up and Upon my inspection I saw a few of the capacitors had rounded tops. So I got a new power supply with a higher power rating and Installed it. Just to be safe. So far my PC is running smooth.

Hello giojoeg and welcome to Forums!

As often happens when someone is doing a search on a particular subject, an archived thread will show itself. The thread you have posted into is from November of 2002...

Thread Information