Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Toothpaste-like thing in my Processor

1. Toothpaste-like thing in my Processor

Hey all! I cleaned up my pc and i got my power supply back again and suprisingly it didn't fry another fuse but... i got a big problem when i power it on... and i look at my processor i see a white paste thing on it... is my processor burned out? thanks for your help...

Umm......how is that you are seeing this paste?

Where exactly is it?

If possible can you post a pic of it?
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

If there's a toothbrush there

somewhere I gotta see this. j/k.

If your PC is working the processor

isn't "burned out."

Just exactly where is this stuff? Could

be some thermal paste if someone used WAY

too much. Your processor should be covered with

a Heatsink and fan.

Some PSU's have big globs of white silicone

pasted in different places internally to cover

connections. Might be some of that stuff fell out.

RD.
    It ain't over 'till the Fat Lady sings.....

4. i dont have a camera but i make an image it looks like this but maybe a little bit smaller paste-like thing... hope this help actually i have a dead pc.... not booting up but i didnt try to troubleshoot the PSU again
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If that is a drawing of your processor and you did NOT remove the heatsync/fan combo, no WONDER your pc won't boot.
    Only in the 486 days and earlier could a pc run without the aid of processor cooling.

Chances are great to sure bet that your processor and possibly also your mobo is toast.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

6. uhmm that is the processor... without the cooling fan and the heat sink of course... i did remove the heat sink and fan first... , specs is Duron 1.3 w/ fan.

Phew!!!

Then that's just thermal paste. You could clean it with rubbing alcohol and apply a very thin layer of new paste when reattaching HS and fan combo. Most here like Arctic silver the best. But do a search for how to because too much will just ooze out and actually insulate around the processor and create an uneven temperature on the chip.

Also you might want to lap your heatsink.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Thread Information