Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: software for linux.

software for linux.

can someone point me in the direction of a good Firewall and Antivirus for Mandrake 9, ive spent a good part of the day looking/playing around with Mandrake and surfing the net, its fun..
    Sometimes your the pigeon, sometimes your the stache.

Firewall: iptables. You probably have it installed, you just need to learn howto configure it.

Antivirus: Linux isn't Windows. If you're running a pure (single-boot) Linux system with the ext2 or ext3 filesystem, and don't normally work as root, then there is little need for virus scanning. If you dual boot with Windows and run Wine, mount you Windows partition read-only. If Windows users store files on your Linux machine you might want a virus scanner for *their* benefit.

Beware. I once had what I believe to have been a virus which my wife downloaded in windows and destroyed my whole boot sector.(?) I couldn't even boot from floppy and I had to wipe everything and start from scratch.
    “The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: It connected in one indissoluble bond, the principles of civil government with those of Christianity." -John Quincy Adams

Dual boot?

Yeah, that is something to be very careful about in a dual boot system......
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thread Information