Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Right-click->New->Wordpad Document.

Right-click->New->Wordpad Document.

I want to be able to right-click in a folder, select "New" and have an option to choose a WordPad document.
    I already have "Word Document" and "Text Document" available.

I know I must put something in the "C:\Windows\ShellNew" folder but cannot remember exactly what.
    I guess it would be a WordPad document template but I'm uncertain.

At present, on my PC only files with a ".wri" extension are automatically opened by WordPad.
    I have WordPad in the "Send To" list ["C:\Windows\Send To" folder].

I don't really understand the following file types listed in WordPad:
    "Word for Windows 6.0"
    "Rich text Format"
    "Text Document"
    "Text Document MS-DOS Format"
    "Unicode Text Document".

WordPad writes .WRI documents by default. The other options are simply alternate ways that you can save documents if you wish to access them readily in another program, like MS Word. Most programs will give you a number of choices for how to save files in this way.

I am not sure how to get WordPad in the Right click menu, so I will let others address that.

Budfred

Sorry, I didn't think the first one was posting so I tried again and ended up with a duplicate.

Budfred
    Last edited by Budfred; 11-29-2002 at 11:16 AM.

You should try putting things [like WordPad or any application you find useful] in the "C:\Windows\Send To" folder.
    I frequently right-click on a file [a ".bat" file for example] and "send to" "WordPad".

You could download "OpenExpert" for free from
    http://www.baxbex.com/downloads.html

This allows you to open any file in any one of a list of suitable applications of your choice. You make the list.

Open WordPad and Save a blank file to the ShellNew Folder; call it, say, untitled.wri then select "as" rtf to retain formatting or "as" txt if you don't want the template formatted.

You will then need to add a couple of keys to the registry and reboot. THIS explains it all fairly comprehensively.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Forgot there's an easier method. Create your template .wri file on say the Desktop, then just drag it into the "New" tab in TweakUI.

Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thank you Paul.

I successfully followed the instructions on the web page and also installed "TweakUI".

I even altered the names that appear in the context menu to:
    "Text[NotePad]Document"
    "Write[WordPad]Document"
    by editing the registry.
    Most satisfactory!

When I was installing "TweakUI" it said to read the help files when "TweakUI" was open, but I cannot find them!
    There is a "Tips" button on the "Mouse" tab which brings them up but that's not good enough.
    Do you know how to find them?

I've always been reluctant to install this prog because it edits the registry and that's dangerous, but I can now see that it can be very useful. I just need to be very careful.

The tweakui.hlp file is normally put in the /Windows/Help directory. You could find it and create your own shortcut else the tips button on the Mouse tab should normally open it.

Only one word of warning. Be careful about hiding access to TweakUI itself or you may find it awkward to get back in to "undo" changes.

Thread Information