Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Newbie Web Page Designer - Uploading Problem

Unhappy Newbie Web Page Designer - Uploading Problem

I recently decided to take advantage of the free webspace that my ISP (AT&T Broadband) provides. I quickly put together a page using CoffeeCup HTLM editor (the free version) and uploaded it perfectly. My page was exactly as I wanted it.

But when I added more to it I had a problem. The new text showed fine but the photos I had added (using the same methods I had used on the previous photos) didn't show. I just get the empty box with the red X in the upper left corner.

I switched over to Dreamweaver (which I'm still learning) and my first attempt at uploading a new addition to the page via CuteFTP didn't take care of the problem.

Questions:

What could cause the photos NOT to show now when I update my page?

(When I preview the page in the HTLM editor(s) preview browser, they show perfectly).

And what's an especially good FTP program for beginners like me that will upload my webpage to my web address?

Thanks in advance,
    Jericho

Jericho. I use and like WS-FTP. You can download it from HERE.

You did not give the URL of the page you uploaded so I can't be certain what your problem is. The usual thing that goes wrong is confusion between absolute and relative links to images etc. I have lost count of the number of times it has happened to me!
    It works in the preview window, but does it work if you point your usual browser to the page on your hard drive? Sometimes the preview is not what a normal browser sees.

Another possibility is the image format, but if it works on your machine that is less likely.

If you post your URL we can have a look and see for certain what is happening.

David
    be wary of strong drink - it may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!

Here's the page in question:

http://home.attbi.com/~xenophon2001/Coins.html

I've reached the point where my brain is tied in knots on this.

Do you see where I've done anything especially wrong? I know that there is a lot of wasted HTML code herein... this is all new to me.

thanks,
    Jericho

The path for the images that do not show are linked to your hard drive, such as this one:

http://home.attbi.com/PROGRA~1/COFFE...0983094543.jpg

A working link looks like this:

http://home.attbi.com/~xenophon2001/...4309480983.jpg

Those showed up by right-clicking the object on your page and selecting Properties. Here is how they appear in the source:

src="../../../PROGRA~1/COFFEE~1/Working/rome90983094543.jpg"
    href="http://home.attbi.com/~xenophon2001/greek34309480983.jpg"

You could just edit Coins.html to correct the links, then upload it again.
    Last edited by Reid; 12-07-2002 at 05:25 PM.

Open you html file in a text editor and look at the code for images.

img src="../../../PROGRA~1/COFFEE~1/Working/roman3434343434.jpg"...

If your pictures are in the same directory as the html file, then that link should be:

img src="roman3434343434.jpg"

If your pictures are in a subdirectory called "Working" (beneath the html file directory) then the link might be:

img src="Working/roman3434343434.jpg"

These are relative link. In other works the location of the image is relative to the location of the html file that is trying to use it.

The usage ../ means "move up a directory".

So the image links on your webpage right now are trying to:

a) Move up three directories;
    b) There, find a directory "PROGRA~1" that has a subdirectory "COFFEE~1", that in turn has a subdirectory called "Working";
    c) In the "Working" directory, load an image called "roman3434343434.jpg" (or whatever).

That directory structure does not exist on the server, hence the images cannot be loaded and do not show. That directory structure does exist on your own computer, therefore the images display properly.

Edit the paths for the images.

First, try putting them in the same directory as the html file, and make the image link like this:

img src="roman3434343434.jpg"

Then, try putting your images in a subdirectory called "images" under the html file, and make your image link like this:

img src="images/roman3434343434.jpg"

Somehow you should be able to configure your html editor to get this right. Meanwhile, Notepad is your friend.
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-07-2002 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks guys for your help! I took your advice and instructions and somehow managed to ALMOST fix my problem. By that I mean I now have all but one image working properly. The image that is still screwed is the first image on the page. Here's a link to my page again.

http://home.attbi.com/~xenophon2001/Coins.html

At the risk of being a pest, do any of you guys see what I've done wrong with the first image? I compared it to the other working images on the page and I think I used the exact same procedure. Perhaps one of you will detect a mistake I made.

Thank you Thank you,
    Jericho

The link and source look like this:

http://home.attbi.com/~xenophon2001/...own%20mint.jpg

img src="roman constantine ae unknown mint.jpg

I think you need to give the image a name without spaces or possible invalid file name characters.

Reid, Sled, David...

THANK YOU!

Success! (For now.)

I renamed the one remaining trouble-photo and afterwards it uploaded perfectly.

Can't thank you enough! Now I can proceed to make this page better.

You guys rock.

Jericho

Jericho

Glad you got it sorted out.

This sort of problem is why I gave up using coffeecup and similar programs. Using Notepad means you can write correct HTML, and see what you are doing by having you browser open at the same time. Takes time to get the hang of HTML, but for pages like yours, it's probably easier than learning to use a fancy HTML editor.

Good luck with the site!

David
    be wary of strong drink - it may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!

anywhere I roam, where I lay my head is home, yeah!
    U gotta upload the picture as well to the webserver!
    In the land of Seatle, by the fires of Microsoft, the dark lord Bill Gates forged in, secret, a master OS, to controll all PCs.
    And into this OS he put his greed, his malice and his will to dominate all computer media.
    One OS to rule 'em all.

Thread Information