Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: steva

Question steva

I need software for low level formating scsi hard disk compaq 2gb

Welcome to the PC Guide ivater

First, being a Compaq, you may need to see this thread containing an excellent link provided by Sea69

After that, determine what brand the HD is and go to that manufacturer's site and download (if offered) the appropriate software. Do you really need a low level format? or just a good fdisk session and format?

------------------
    Flush 'N' Forget
    FE Stokes WWTP

Blog Entries

A true Low Level Format is done at the factory and should never be done again. Most utilities that claim to LLF a drive are actually "zero fills" meaning they write all 0's to the drive.

Low level formatting was done with MFM & RLL drives in the very early days of computers, but was abandoned with IDE and SCSI. More detailed info in the PC Guide's Low Level Formatting article.

------------------
    YOU! Out of the gene pool!
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information