Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: What's your favorite router

Question What's your favorite router

I'm working towards setting up my first small home network, and will be off to pick up a router soon. I understand that I'll need a router, and was wondering what the experts think...

The network wil be a simple 3 PC network, all running XP pro, and all have 10/100 cards already installed. They'll connect to the web via cable broadband service.

BTW:
    After listening to all of you, I have already taken the steps of placing everything on a separate UPS and moving everything to XP pro on a clean install... Of course, I'm always open to new ideas as well...
    I'll try to learn anything you'll teach me...

Whats your favorite router hmmm....Rockwell I just had to
    Want my weapons molon labe

If you are NOT going the wireless lan route.
    Two units are cost effective and work nicely
    One the Linksys router with 4 port switch
    Also the USR router 4port switch Has the added bonus of a print server in the router..

The Linksys can be found here.

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...cid=29&prid=20

I have one of these. It’s a snap to install and setup

The USR unit is found here

http://www.usr.com/products/networki...p?sku=USR8000a

NOTE the Print server Requires a Network compatible printer.
    Most Winprinters are NOT network compatible

HeHe- Besides the Rockwell (with a healthy supply of different bits), I would agree with one of Ricks choices.
    I've had the same Linksys Router with 4-Port switch for quite a while now. (Not familiar with the USR unit)

Works great! Of course, I like it best when the kids are away at school and the network isn't so busy.

(These school vacations are gonna kill me!)
    ~ I had a life once...Now I have a computer and a modem ~

I say

Linksys

They are easy to use and if you run into a problem, their support is second to none....

I have used a LINKSYS BEFSR41 For about a year, and it works great. I would recommend it to anyone.

Here's the final answer...

At the suggestion of the fine folks here, I have purchased the Linksys BEFSX41... Instant Broadband™EtherFast®Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch/VPN EndPoint

I chose this one instead of the suggested BEFSR41 because of th included firewall- I figured that it'll be easier to go that route than have to install ZoneAlarm on my fiancee's computer. Anything I can do to make it easier for her (and less for me to support) the better.

Thanks for all of your help everyone! As I begin the setup I'll check back and let you knwo how it goes.

You can see it HERE if you'd like.
    I'll try to learn anything you'll teach me...

Thread Information