Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Intalling NT 4.0 as a BDC

Intalling NT 4.0 as a BDC

I'm trying to install NT 4.0 as a BDC on our network. In setup when I get to the part where I enter in the domain its joining I get the error "primary domain controller cannot be located." All the info is correct and I've tried it with multiple computers and get the same error so I know its something I'm doing wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Baller360

Do you have a live Domain Controller that will accept other secondary controllers?
    See server management (I think it is).

Need a little more info on your PC set up.

Olie
    "The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them" Einstein...

Right now we have a PDC and a BDC both running Windows NT 4.0. The goal is to upgrade them to W2K. The reason we need another BDC before we upgrade is because right now our BDC is also the Exchange server. We want to create another BDC, make the BDC that we already have just an Exchange server and than upgrade the two DC's to W2K. Our other option is too move exchange to another server, uninstall it from the current BDC and then use that BDC for the upgrade. The only problem with that is that I've been told that you can't simply mirror an exchange server, take the old one offline, rename the new one the same as the old one and join the domain. I don't see why that wouldn't work, but I don't know for sure, and I don't want to mess up the exchange server cause I'd be in a world of hurt. Please let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks,
    Baller360

Hmm....
    I know you can run two exchange servers and split the payload. I am not sure how, but if you setup the additional as your second mail server, I do know you can split the work load accross the two.. We did this once, as we seperated student email from staff i.e for different permisions, security etc.. You do not have to go around to each PC and configure Outlook/Exchange either.
    I am thinking you could create a seond mail server, transfer the profiles/accounts over to it and then change the group settings for the mail server.
    Like i said i dont know how to do this, but I know you can do that. You should be able to replicate also.
    I'll see what I can dig up anyways.
    Anyone else know this process I am talkign about??

Olie
    "The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them" Einstein...

Thread Information