Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

View Poll Results: do I have to run setup CD after installing new hard drive

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Email answer

1 50.00%
  • post question

1 50.00%

Thread: peplaced hard drive

peplaced hard drive

I replaced my internal hard drive...do I now need to use a set up CD to install the programs.... Jay 4471

Welcome to

I am guessing you posted the poll by mistake, if you didn't you probably need to clarify what you are asking.

As for installing programs on a new hard drive, I am not sure what you are asking for with that either. If you want to set up Windoze you probably need to partition and format your hard drive first, then run Setup from CD using a Win98 Startup disk to boot and access the CD drive. If you don't have a boot disk, you can download one at www.bootdisk.com and make sure you start with CD support.

The other alternative would be to copy the image of your old hard drive to the new one, but you don't indicate if that drive is working so I won't go into how to do that. Post back if you want more info on that.

Also, if you are using WinXP or Win2KPro, the setup situation is different. You do the parititioning, format and install from the CD. If this doesn't answer your question, post back with more info and we can help.

Budfred

Thread Information