Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Notebook will not boot from HDD

Notebook will not boot from HDD

I have a COMPAQ Evo N160 with W2K Pro installed. It will no longer boot from the HDD but I can boot to the OS on the HDD with a floppy. I have restored the boot sector, rebuilt the boot sector, replaced all the boot files, used FDISK, used Disk Probe, made sure the partition is marked ACTIVE, etc. No luck. Anything ideas short of reinstalling? Thanks.

What is the exact problem with any error messages...

Also check the boot order in BIOS.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

There are no error messages. When I try to boot from the HDD all I get is a blinking cursor in the upper left hand of the screen - that's it. When I boot from the floppy it operates just fine. Boot order in the BIOS is Floppy - CD - HDD; but there is no difference in operation if I change this order. Thanks.

Ok, look for for the boot.ini file (it is probably a hidden file, so you need to enable show hidden/system files) and post the contents of it here.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

Here is the contents of the boot.ini

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000 Professional"

Here is a copy of boot.ini from a working system...

[boot loader]
    [boot loader]
    timeout=3
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Is this an upgrade install of 2k or an original?

Thanks for the boot.ini. This file also does not work from the HDD but works fine on a floppy. This is an original install of W2K Pro.

Here is the boot.ini file from my w2k machine...

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Might help...

There is the chance that one of the other boot files is damaged, compare the boot files with what is on the floppy.

Same result with this latest boot.ini file as with the others. I have replaced the boot files on the HDD and right now the boot files on the floppy are identical to those on the HDD.

check ur BIOS setting..
    the Hard Disk Mode...make sure its set to Enhance IDE n not Standard IDE...
    juz a suggestion

Thread Information