Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: motherboard

motherboard

gonna build a computer for a family in my church. i want a decent but CHEAP system. i think i'll go no more than an athlon 2000+ probably an anthlon 1800 or around there.

my question is which motherboard brand do you guys reccomend. give me your top 5 choices and in a certain order for these brands.

ABIT USA

ALBATRON USA

AOPEN

ASUS

BIOSTAR

CHAINTECH-EXCEL, INC.

DFI

ECS

EPOX

FIC

GIGA BYTE

IWILL

JETWAY

LEADTEK

MSI

SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY LIMITED

SHUTTLE

SOLTEK

SOYO

TYAN

XFX
    Dell Latitude X300 / Centrino 1.4 Ghz / 640 MB Ram / 60 Gig / 64 MB shared video / 12.1" monitor / 2.9 lbs / 6 hours of battery life / DVD-CDRW Combo / Docking Station

well I am going to say Gigabyte. Just My opion, others have them too.
    Abit and Biostar have some nice equipment also. I dont know much about the rest.

Last edited by ZURKE; 03-04-2003 at 06:22 PM.

Lotsa choices...

Asus has a good reputation among hobbyists. Gigabyte is a reputable company with (generally) less expensive price tags. But there are often duds to be found from any company...

Maybe check out a site like Toms Hardware for some reviews.
    I fight authority, authority always wins

Remembering Kay

I used an ECS K7S5A to build a system recently and I liked its versatility and price. It will use SDRAM or DDR. Newegg usually has a compatible AMD chip on sale too.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1

Second one on page....
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

anywhere I roam, where I lay my head is home, yeah!
    It depends on whats the purpose of your PC. GIGABYTE can be the best. Go for JETWAY if u want cheaper better alternative.
    In the land of Seatle, by the fires of Microsoft, the dark lord Bill Gates forged in, secret, a master OS, to controll all PCs.
    And into this OS he put his greed, his malice and his will to dominate all computer media.
    One OS to rule 'em all.

ok let me ask another question. what are some brands to STAY AWAY from? that are on that list.
    Dell Latitude X300 / Centrino 1.4 Ghz / 640 MB Ram / 60 Gig / 64 MB shared video / 12.1" monitor / 2.9 lbs / 6 hours of battery life / DVD-CDRW Combo / Docking Station

Blog Entries
    Been looking into this myself lately, getting a cheapo system together. For an AMD-based cheapo system, one of the best chipsets to use is the KM266. Yes it's older, but it will work with some AthlonXP's and has onboard sound & video & LAN! All the things you need, right there. Just go to Newegg's site and do a search in AMD Motherboards for mobos using the KM266 northbridge. All are good brand names, too - MSI, Biostar, ECS, FIC, Epox, and Gigabyte.

Many of them can take both SDRAM and DDR, but if you have to buy it new, the cheapest RAM on Newegg is now DDR266 (Kingston) so having SDRAM slots isn't necessary unless you have some lying around.

You can still get some good deals on SDRAM at local stores even if it is cheaper that DDR at newegg, so it may still be a better choice. When DDR can be found consistently for $25 for 256meg, the choice will be obvious....
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

Thread Information