Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: My search feature is dead

Unhappy My search feature is dead

I go to Start/Search/For Files or Folders, then I type in a word, select the drive and click the search now button, but nothing happens. Any suggestions?

After running all security scans to make sure it isn't a security issue, I would probably try reinstalling your Windoze. It sounds like the Search function has gotten corrupted somehow and reinstalling is the easiest way to fix it. You might want to wait on that though, in case someone knows a way to selectively reinstall only that function....
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

hmmm what OS?

if xp or Me have you tried a system restore?

If XP Open Explorer and go to the Windows\Inf folder. Locate the srchasst.inf file. Right click it and select Install. You'll ned your XP CD or the files from the I386 folder. (This fix will require you to have your Win XP CD). Again, the Windows\Inf folder is a hidden folder. You may need to adjust your Windows Explorer options to show hidden files and folders. You can also click Start, Run and enter %SystemRoot%\Inf to open directly to the Inf folder...
    Want my weapons molon labe

What version of Windows?

http://www.windows-help.net/windowsMe/tip-0101.html

One of the common cause is viral....

Another posibility:XP's search directory can corupt.

1. back up the directory c:\windows\srchasst to somewhere safe (assuming c: is your boot disk and XP is installed to the windows directory)

2. Run Service Pack 1 (if you can't download it, there is often a copy on the cover disk of many PC magazines)

3. If the search function does not repair, then copy the directory from step 1 back and windows will complain that the files are pre service pack 1 and that you need to re run the service pack.

4. if you were requsted to re run the SP the do

5. if the search function is STILL not working, find a friend with a copy of windows XP (same version as you) installed and copy thei srchasst directory over yours.

6. re run service pack 1

and one more: indexing service, it can take forever to get a search up and going when it is enabled, so much so it seems like the process is getting nowhere.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

MJC your link did the trick. I forgot all about tweak ui. The search feature is back up and running. Thank you very much.

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm sorry that I forgot to mention that it was Win ME.

I have one last question, which I should know the answer to by now. If I ever do have to re-install windows, would I also have to re-install programs, such as Norton Utilities and Norton Internet Security?
    Last edited by tonysolomon; 03-16-2003 at 04:27 PM.

Depends, if you do a clean install (reformat the hard drive and start from scratch), then yes you would. If you install over the previous version of Windoze, you don't have to reinstall programs, but the OS may be a little more unstable. Clean installs are usually the most stable.
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

Thanks Budfred. I always appreciate the help.

Thread Information