Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Files Have Been Replaced By Unrecognized Versions

Files Have Been Replaced By Unrecognized Versions

My wife has been getting a message on XP Home for some time now. It often happens after she opens or closes an app or reboots or mult-tasks.

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files. Insert you Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM now." The options are retry, more info, cancel. NOTHING Happens if she chooses retry and inserts disc or cancel. More Info: Windows File Protection. Possible reasons for this problem
    - You have inserted the wrong CD (i.e. a different Windows product CD than the version installed. (NOPE! IN FACT, SHE TRIED 2 DIFFERENT XP HOME DISKS WITH THE SAME RESULT).
    - The CD-ROM drive in your system is not functioning. (SHE'S TRIED BOTH CD and CRRW DRIVE).

"If you choose not to restore the original versions of the files this may affect stability. Are you sure you want to keep the unrecognized versions?"

I know that a fresh install will work, but she's got a lot of data and installed programs and that's not a great option. She DOES have a ghost drive (NOETON GHOST) that has about 3/4 of the programs and the data and was last written to BEFORE the errors started appearing. Switching to that is a less-terrible option, but still not great. If we did that I'd need some help.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be a big help. Thanks.

NOPE! IN FACT, SHE TRIED 2 DIFFERENT XP HOME DISKS WITH THE SAME RESULT
    But these would be different with different CDkeys, which may be what the message is indicating; ie that you need the same CD that was used to do the original install.

You could try a repair installation. Autorun the WinXP CD and choose new installation from the first screen. After the files have been copied and the pc reboots read the screens carefully to point to the original installation and select to repair it. Just ensure you dont do an ordinary install, which would install a second clean install to the same partition, or delete any partitions.

The whole thing runs like an ordinary installation and will prompt you for the CDkey and other information, but your data files etc should be left intact. I'm not sure if you will need to reactivate but I don't think so.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Before you go that far, is there any indication as to what files are the problems?

If they are driver files, the problem may be having done an update with unsigned versions. You can try updating again, this time wtih a signed version.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

And don't forget that XP is activated for one PC only.

If they are driver files, the problem may be having done an update with unsigned versions. You can try updating again, this time wtih a signed version.

You're gonna have to explain that one to me. Sorry, I just don't know anout signed and unsigned drivers.

And don't forget that XP is activated for one PC only.

Does that mean that the Microsoft police would come after me?

Does that mean that the Microsoft police would come after me?
    Means it would stop working after 5 days or so, as I understand it. You'd have to convince MS that the original PC got fried or the like, by phone. Then they will let you activate on diff. PC.

Signed drivers are drivers that have been submitted to MS for approval. By default XP requires signed drivers, or it will do things tlike ignore them, pop up all sorts of warnings and even try to restore older versions.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Means it would stop working after 5 days or so, as I understand it. You'd have to convince MS that the original PC got fried or the like, by phone. Then they will let you activate on diff. PC.

Don't take those dopes at Microsoft so seriously. They don't need convincing. I'm not gonna tell you how many times I've use one disc. All it takes is a phone call.

Thread Information