Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: clamp clamp noise

clamp clamp noise

Hi,

My HDD is making, randomly, a strange noise; it sounds like clamp clamp. Does anybody know how this can be fixed? I heard that there may be a software to fix it.
    The disk is an BM DJSA 232 (thinkpad a21 laptop). I serched the IBM site but nothing's there. I post some questions to ibm tech support and they said it's normal; well I heard this noise before to some desktop systems and it wasn't normal; soon after starting making this noise those disks crashed.

thank you.

This is NOT normal.

Please backup at once and prepare for a new hard drive

Unhappy

Well, financialy speaking, this is not an option.

Anyway, this noise apeared almost 6 months ago; so ibm may be right, I hope; but it's very very annoying.
    And if it will be hapening I hope it will be within the waranty period.

Thank you

Welcome to

IBM may be right, but I would still backup immediately and keep a backup updated all the time. I would also download the diagnostic software from the IBM website and run it to check the drive. I had a bad IBM drive recently and they replaced it without hassle when I gave them the code produced by their software when the drive was tested.
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

Well I checked it with all kind of software, including IBM test one; no errors were reported.

Well then I would still keep backups frequently, but you are probably safe for now. I would probably run that diagnostic software occasionally and especially if the noise gets worse.
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

All good advice above ^

Does it sound/look like this?

The internal components in a harddisk have some 'feelers' or sensors mounted on arms that when in a non-used state are magnetically anchored to a buss bar of sorts. The clicking sometimes heard can be the 'attaching/unattaching' of the magnet used for this purpose. More of a clicking...

The pic shows the arms but a shroud hides the magnetic counterweight on the other end/side of the fulcrum/pivot pint:

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Thread Information