Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *Tired of DoubleClick??*

Arrow *Tired of DoubleClick??*

click here- to be rid of it forever.

------------------
    sea1_69@hotmail.com

homepage

~

Sea: You need to be careful! You tell a moron like me to click "here" and I will do it every time! Duh. Not too long ago, a guy posted a sentence like "my browser freezes every time I go 'here'", and I had already clicked on it before I realized maybe that wasn't so bright. What did I just do??? by clicking on this link? What doubleclicks?

Cool

LoL.. kay

it's ok my dear, I would NEVER put in a link that would take anyone anyplace that could even possibly do any remote type of harm.

if you use adaware from lavasoft, you will see that it gets rid of many 'spyware] and cookies in your computer.

doubleclick is notorious for re-appearing over and over again.

even this site (by just visiting) will put their cookie in your computer, and they love to track what you're doing/ where your're going.

by clicking the above link, it just "OPTS- you out" from them being able to do this in the future.

it does nothing else to your pc.

(you may find that your pages load a little faster here now as well)

btw- like to thank Pete, for posting something not too long ago that reminded me to look into this... I kept forgetting about it.

------------------
    sea1_69@hotmail.com

homepage

[This message has been edited by sea69 (edited 08-14-2001).]

don't really under stand but i went there to???
    I guess i'll have to go thru my cookies to see. where in the
    wide world of sports do you come up w/this stuff
    Want my weapons molon labe

Arrow

hehe.. try here for adaware.

(free)

many of us here have this app, and recommend it, you may be surprised at what it finds.

------------------
    sea1_69@hotmail.com

homepage

Sea: My son told me to go get AdAware months ago, so I too forget to go check things out, but I do want to ask...is AdAware gonna want to load at StartUp? I don't always go online right off the bat, and I don't want anything sucking RAM when I don't need it...so when I installed ZoneAlarm, had to spend an hour or so reading through Help files to see what "Uninstalling True Vector will disable Internet Securities features" meant when I tried to uncheck the ZA "load at StartUp" box. Couldn't find the answer, so decided was down to emailing ZA tech or just trying it..and did the latter. Made myself a Desktop shortcut, stuck it right under my dialup shortcut so I wouldn't forget to turn it on...it's working fine regardless of the True Vector whatever. So?

Sea69 - Needless to say I too couldn't resist clicking on DoubleClick Opt-out. But why do you go on and mention Ad-aware? Is there a connection? -
    Utterly-confused Fred

Ad-aware is nothing more than a program that you start and it searches your drives for all the ADís, programs and cookies used by spy ware programs and sites to keep tract of what you do. Where you go and what you look at on the web,

This info is then sold to spammers and they send you the BS they want to sell.

Ad-aware will only run if you start it from an icon or the start menu.
    It doesnít block cookies or spam .

------------------
    To ERR is HUMAN
    To REALLY screw things UP, YOU NEED a COMPUTER !

Talking

kay- adaware can be set to run @ startup or not- depending on what you set it to. It needs nor looks for an internet connection.

I just run it once a week as part of maintenance (scandisk, defragg)

now for ZA (true vector)- you should read this.

true vector is a vital part of ZA.

I don't blame you for wanting to keep things from loading until you need them.

same here

I keep ZA loaded @ start because I am always online, it really isn't needed I guess if you're not online. (unless someone has inserted a trojan that can 'wake up' your machine for you w/out your input... very slim chance - but possible to do)

Fred, adaware just seemed to come into it because that's the app that easily identifies this and other spyware that may- (or may not) - be in your system.

The first time I ran it on my machine I was really surprised to see all the things that it identified, that I was completely unaware of.

and Rick is correct.

adaware does not "doesnít block cookies or spam", it does make you at least AWARE of their exisitence and it will safely remove them.

hehe... hence the name adaware.

------------------
    sea1_69@hotmail.com

homepage

I didn't "uninstall" True Vector...that's just what the little confirmation box said whenever I unchecked the "load at StartUp" box. Went ahead and unchecked it, and went to Gibson and "passed" the test in stealth mode, so apparently still working despite not loading at StartUp. I locked up solid trying to check your above link just now..no keyboard, no mouse..so not going there again.

The top link that I clicked on...does that explain why I can't go and check my Hotmail box now without re-entering name and password?? I did read what you guys just said, and it shouldn't have (right?)...but I have tried several ways into my Hotmail box after I clicked on your first link..and can't go directly there as I could early this morning.

Will do the AdAware...like what you said about using it along with diagnostics/maintenance tools.

sorry about that link!

there were two choices, one was a pdf (which I couldn't get to open, the other was the one I posted (which did work for me)

why I do not know.

hehe

for your hotmail passport, you should just need to click "leave me signed in"

(or something similiar)

------------------
    sea1_69@hotmail.com

homepage

Passing you in the "hall", Sea! Just responded to your post in the After Hours.

On the Hotmail thing, has always been set for that..to stay "logged on" unless I log off. Worked fine this morning, but now just gets to the password stuff. Even if I go ahead and do the password, then check the box about staying "on", then come back later...same thing..password page again. Probably need to go back to that first link at top and see what said it was sticking in there...delete it..and see if Hotmail part works again.

Thumbs up

hehe

yes, am still responding to other thread..

hotmail thing could just be a coincidence.. mine still works the same way.

------------------
    sea1_69@hotmail.com

homepage

~

sea69 - Have just downloaded TWO pages of Ad-aware instructions from Lavasoft with suggestion "to read complete manual before using Ad-aware the first time" which I find a bit off-putting. Is that really necessary? Anyway, at this stage of the game I think I'll hold my horses until the new version comes out on August 25.

#1) I have never read any of that. I just downloaded, installed, and ran it.

I had it on advice from someone here (that I trust but can't remember)lol

just run it, I say- it works. no surprises (except what you already have had put in your system without your knowlege)

it shows you what's there that you don't know about-potentially harmfull, and most likely detrimental to your system, and does not belong there.

if you wait until 08/25/01, you may find the FREE one no longer available, and only be able to purchase the finished product.

------------------
    sea1_69@hotmail.com

homepage

[This message has been edited by sea69 (edited 08-15-2001).]

sea69 - Thanks for replying - alas, unless I am blind it seems I am too late. Can't find a link to download the ad-aware freebie - only ad-aware plus.

For English, maybe ZDNet . I am kind of confused at this point. Went LavaSoftand downloaded the top file that says "ad-aware 5.5". Under Properties on the "aaw.exe" file I downloaded, says just "application" so have no idea what version..or even what I downloaded for sure..but ZDNet downloads are named the same..."aaw.exe".

Arrow

kay, not sure about that link of yours, but the one I posted has the correct version.

------------------
    sea1_69@hotmail.com

homepage

~

Smile

sea69 - Well, thank you very much and bless your little cotton socks! What on earth would I/we do without you!! - No reply necessary

Howdy

This was posted on another site
    I don't recall seeing it here so I thought I'd pass it along

Want to get rid of doubleclick? This was posted on another board:

"In IE go to tools, select internet options. Select the security tab. Click the restricted sites icon and then the sites button. Add this website to zone.

[type in]

*.doubleclick.com then hit the add button.

[type in]

*.doubleclick.net then hit add and ok on out.

End of doubleclick problem and Ad-Aware or optout will never find another on your machine while these are in there. It works for me. Also read here:
    http://grc.com/cb-faq.htm#privacy-auto

Get Nasties.Reg and get rid of a bunch of those things. Helps speed up surfing also."
    I have typed in some of the sites and AdAware finds nothing on my machine

buck

------------------
    just hav'n fun

[This message has been edited by buck52 (edited 08-16-2001).]
    just hav'n fun

Thanks, buck!

I use AdSubtract http://www.adsubtract.com/ which blocks all cookies *AND* most ads. This program replaces the venerable Internet Mute, which did basically the same thing & ran on my old pc. Right after getting my new system & before getting AdSubtract, I ran the web "naked", for about a week. When I loaded AdAware for the first time to check for spyware, there were several examples present. Since setting up AdSubtract shortly thereafter, I have never found an indication of any spyware. Only problem is you may encounter the *occassional* site which will not load until you turn off AdSubtract to allow cookies (changing from one hotmail e-mail account to another is an example of this). One tip, if you got AdAware several months back, you may want to go to their site & update your reflist.sig file, which contains the current info on spyware code & needs to be updated periodically like virus software (basically the same sort of detection process).

BTW, according to my AdSubtract stats, PC Guide has attempted to show me 9 ads and to place 18 cookies in the ~ 1 hour I've been here reading. All have been blocked by AdSubtract.

Dan

CookieWall from:
    www.analogx.com

will alert you of cookies as they arrive and let you decide which
    ones to keep or deny.

It got rid of the dreaded Admonitor spyware cookie (the one that keeps coming back)for good. Ha ha ha.....no more Admonitor.

Bye the way, it's free too.

[This message has been edited by Sylvia (edited 08-23-2001).]

Buck52 Want to get rid of doubleclick? This was posted on another board:
    "In IE go to tools, select internet options. Select the security tab. Click the restricted sites icon and then the sites button. Add this website to zone. [type in] *.doubleclick.com then hit the add button.
    [type in] *.doubleclick.net then hit add and ok on out.
    End of doubleclick problem and Ad-Aware or optout will never find another on your machine while these are in there. . ."

Followed the instructions but Ad-Aware still uncovers doubleclick on my machine.

Thread Information