Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Great when it worked...

Great when it worked...

At home I have 2 pc both on win XP, connected using 2 NIC's and 30m X-over cable. When i got all the stuff i shoved it in, set it up as i went along.... Surprisingly it worked I could play games, file share, all kinds of stuff.

now fast forward a few months....

One of the computers goes wrong

So I reinstall the operating system (XP) and put all my apps back on..

but the network don't work... I can't swap files or view other comp in network Neighbourhood... or my network places

but i can still play games...so the physical connection still works but the operating system side doesn't.

is there any way to completly remove all networking settings and start afresh..

Ive tried running the Wizard sometimes it runs sometimes it don't but the computers never sho up on the other system.

should i have them connected when i run the wizard??

Any ideas...????

thanks anyway

XP can be a problem sometimes. I had a problem where computers couldn't recognise each other, but this was on a mixed system - XP, 98.

The solution however, is one that may be applicable, as it involves automating some services. (the solution of course, came from this forum!)
    here it is:
    sorting out XP networking

Thanks alot for the reply

The link you gave led me to more articles and lots of information

Unfortunatly my brain ain't in the right place to take all in right now

so i'll come back when I can concentrate

Microsoft Works.... thats one great Oxymoron

Any way thanks for the help

Thread Information