Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Beeps

Beeps

Home built: Asus P4B533, 2.66ghz 533FSB. Abit siluro 128mb, AGP8X video card. RAM 2700/512. It beeps 5 times, pauses, then continous beeps. Blank screen. Changed video card to 3 different ones, still beeps, changed RAM to another DIMM, it still beeps. The Abit video card is compatible to 4X, so I know is not the card, because I have used it with an ABIT SH6 mobo. Even tried using an old TNT 64mb video card. And the beeps go on, and on. Waiting for another stick, same as the other one. I hope that solves the problem, but, until then. Help!!!!

Welcome to

If you can determine what your BIOS brand is, you can go to
    BIOS beep code links and find out what your BIOS is trying to tell you. It seems likely that it isn't RAM or video based on testing you have already done, but the codes should tell you what the problem is.
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

Question

I have an award bios, went to the beep codes, it doesn't have anything at all on the 5 beeps that I am getting. Does Award Bios have a site I can go to. I got the new stick yesterday and the beeps go on. Could it be the CPU, that is doing it? The mobo came with all the jumpers installed, all set to default. Read the manual on the mobo, even changed some jumpers around, still beeps. This happens to be my 4th computer I have built, and the most troublesome. BTW, I have an Antec case, with a 400watt power supply. Eveything lights up, but no boot, blank screen. I am still learning. Will appreciate any help I can get.

I found a site by Phoenix that apparently owns Award now and they said that any beep code other than 1 long 2 short is likely to be RAM. I have heard that Asus boards can be VERY finicky about RAM, so what brand are you using??? It may be the brand is not compatible rather than the particular sticks having a problem.

Also, it is unlikely to be the CPU since a failed CPU generally means that you get no POST at all. CPUs do not tend to fail a little, they tend to be either they work or they don't....

One is Kingston the other is Micron. On the crucial.com site, read that it was okay to install 2 different makes. I bought this mobo from Googlegear and it said that it would be okay to install a Kingston stick. Right now, one of the sticks is back in Googlegear's hands, sent it back thinking it was the stick that was bad. I read somewhere that they had to be installed in pairs. According to Asus, one stick is okay. Maybe, I read it wrong. Please send me the BIOS site. Thanks, for all your help. Still

Here is the Google search. The first one on the page seems to be Award, but the other links might give you some help too.

I have heard that Asus boards are not real good with Kingston and Micron.... Anyone else know anything about this????

Thanks a lot Budfred: Finally got it working. It wasn't the memory, it was DUH!!!, installed the CPU on wrong, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. Well at least we found new beep codes, 5 beeps CPU on wrong. Right now installing WINXP PRO.

I'm glad you figured it out, but I am surprised you were able to install the CPU wrong, usually they are pinned so that you can't really do that without some damage. I hope it is okay now....

Surprised me too. Knowing that installing it wrong can have bad repercussions. I'm very lucky. Once again, thanks. When I get into trouble, who am I going to call, Budfred!!!!thanks, again.

Thread Information