Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Rundll

Rundll

I have a problem getting on the net. I get a error messages

Rundll

and error message can't load C:/PROGRA~1/NEWDOT~1/NEWDOT~1.DLL

Can anyone help me.
    also:
    My screen is so huge that I can't reach the X out and Minimize. The Icons are huge. Any idea how to fix it and why this happened.

All this happened after my daughter downloaded some AOL stuff. Thanks "Pic"

I would start by running
    MSCONFIG
    Check each tab ( startup, win.ini, system.ini ) for the newdot command line. or line that includes it
    Edit the line or remove the check from the box next to it.

This stops it from attempting to load the program.

Removes the error and should stop the screen change

I would also run a set of security scans. I am not familiar with newdot, but it sounds like it is messing with your system and I wouldn't be suprised if it was spyware. I would run Spybot and/or AdAware for the spyware scan, Trojan Hunter (trial version) for trojans, and consider running an online virus scan in addition to running your own AV with updated definitions. You can find links to these in mjc's security thread.

Edit: I just did a quick search and it looks like Newdot is spyware and that you daughter may have downloaded Kazaa... This is file sharing software for downloading music and it is scumware. It provides a gateway for all sorts of spyware, virus and trojan infections. I would check to see if you have it and post back for how to get rid of it if you do...
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

newdot is spyware. Built in with Kazza as far as I know, and could be with other progs.

Go to the following ggogle link will tell you a bit more and further link there to download small prog to get rid of it. (sixth link down page

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=new...=Google+Search
    Last edited by ErnieK; 06-08-2003 at 05:57 PM.
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

Ernie, new.Net, technically is not spyware...foistware; yes!

jeriatrix, first you will need to check to see if there is a New.net uninstaller in Add/Remove programs.

Second, what did you use to remove new.net?

Third, which version of Windows?

The screen problems sound like a resolution change, right click on an empty spot on your desktop and select properties...you should then be able to change the resoultion.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

anywhere I roam, where I lay my head is home, yeah!
    I think the newdot folder has already been deleted so the message is given. Remove its reference from loading with windows, use msconfig, or some tools like regcleaner, or manualy with regedit from Run keys.

For the problem of not being able to reach the "X" button, you need to adjust the geometry of your monitor. You probably have buttons in your monitor for that. For the icons being large, looks like screen resolution is set too low. Adjust it from display properties.

CuratoR.
    In the land of Seatle, by the fires of Microsoft, the dark lord Bill Gates forged in, secret, a master OS, to controll all PCs.
    And into this OS he put his greed, his malice and his will to dominate all computer media.
    One OS to rule 'em all.

Ok, guys, New.Net is not a normal error generator, when errors crop up it is from improper removal. Improper removal of New.Net breaks things. The normal fixes DO NOT apply and in fact can make matters worse...

This seems to be a case of AOL actually having messed with the winsock2 files, thereby "breaking" the New.Net install...whic in turn broke the winsock files even more.

This right now is a partial "break' and running the new.Net unistaller may be able to fix it...in the case of New.Net the uninstaller should always be run first!! It is designed to handle an incomplete removal by something else (doesn't always work, depending on how much has already been removed).
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thread Information