Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Trying to share internet connection

Trying to share internet connection

How can I make two computers share an ADSL connection? So far I've connected my husband's computer to my router, got a IP address from my provider and tried to make a connection but when I finish the wizard, the connection is not shown in the control panel. Am I skipping some important step? Both computers are running Windows XP pro, and both have Realtek Ethernet Lan cards.

You have run the wizard on both computers haven't you ?

Have you plugged both PCs into the router?

Are you using the right cable (patch/stright though) i think?

Are both network cards seen in Device Manager?
    Sometimes your the pigeon, sometimes your the stache.

Is the router a multi-port router (can more than one computer be plugged into it)?
    Has the router given IP addresses to the computers or are you assigning them manually?
    "Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile."
    -- Karl Lehenbauer

Did you install the software provided by the DSL company? If so, remove it.... There should not be a connection in the control panel....

The connection comes from fake dial up software use by PPPoE.

Both computers "see" the lan cards. Both computers are connected to the router (3com 4 ports). There is no software from my ADSL company, except for the lan card drivers. The IP addresses were given to me by the Adsl provider. I've run the wizards in both computers:
    In computer 1: It already has an internet connection. I also ran the Lan wizard.
    In computer 2: I ran the wizard for connecting to the internet with no incidents, except that when I finish I can't see the internet connection in the control panel, and when I try to run the network setup wizard it says it has no permission (I logon as administrator)
    Computer 2 used to be part of a network in my husband's office: can it be the cause? anyway I formatted the hdd and made a clean install of Winxp, and connected it to the router with a crossover cable. Is that correct?
    Classicsoftware: you say the connection comes from fake dial up software use by PPPoE. What does that mean?
    Last edited by yolagp; 09-09-2003 at 01:15 PM.

Am I correct in thinking that computer 1 is connected to the router and everything is fine? That the problem is purely connecting computer 2 to the internet via the router ?

Yes.

Why not try turning comp2 off, unplug the lead that goes from the computer to the router. Now turn it on again and when it is up and running plug the router connector cable in. You should get the "detected new hard ware" pop up. Follow the instructions and let us know what happens.

I just did what you told me, turned it off and then on again. Nothing happened. But then I substituted the crossover cable with the one in computer 1, which was working all right, and it worked! I might have bought the wrong cable!

Good........you always get there in the end, especially with the amount of knowledgeable and helpful people on these forums.
    On a totally different topic, I have some friends that I have just done a build for who are going out to live in Spain. When you have a spare minute would you be kind enough to Email me with any information that you think will be usefull including ISP's and their prices and deals. A broadband connection would be ideal.
    Regards
    FBW

Of course I will. Right now I don't have much information but I will take a look around and email you.
    And thanks!

If I am not mistaken, a Crossover cable is designed to connect 2 computers without a switch, hub or router, so if you were using one, that could be the problem that you were having. I am unclear about what you actually did with the cables, but I am guessing you have a regular ethernet cable in there now if it is working....
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

1. If you were using a crossover cable, that would explain why it did not work. Replace all cables with Cat-5 or Cat-5e patch cables. Crossover cables are used when connecting two PC's w/o a hub or switch and can also be used to connect to hubs or 2 switches together.

2. MOST residential DSL is NOT always on like a cable or T1 connection.
    They run Point to Point to Point over Ethernet (PPPoE) You have to "dial" into the network in order to obtain an IP address. Most DSL providers provide software for this purpose. If you use this software, you cannot use a router. A router contacts the DSL provider and get's the WAN IP address. That is why you have to put your user name & password into the router setup in order for it to work.

I had the idea that what I needed was a crossover cable, so that was the problem. It only worked when I tried the computer 1 cable (regular ethernet) in computer 2.
    I have ADSL which is always on, and in computer 1 you can see an icon in the control panel that says "local area connection". That's where I look when I want to see information about my connection, like IP address, and that was what I was trying to see in computer 2. I haven't installed any software for the ADSL, so that icon is a mystery to me. (There are so many things that are a mystery to me regarding computers, that I come to this forum almost every day to see if I can learn something from you guys/girls)

Thread Information