Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: hp freezing..

hp freezing..

need help,
    i am looking at this hp 4 years old. running 98, She keeps totaly freezing. Freeze up every hour or two. So
    Have formatted, Restored the original software. updated drivers, brouser,etc.
    But keeps freezing.

Are you doing anything in particular when this occurs? Or is just at anytime?. When you reformatted, did you put all software back on it as it was or do you have the minimun items running for testing? Have you tried safe mode to see if it will freeze up? Have done some house keeping and gotten the dust out? Could be heat problem? Have you tried running with a minimum of hardware to see what happens. Just some things to consider. Hate seeing questions not get an answer

HPs of this vintage have notoriously bad power supplies. I wouldn't be too surposed if the fan on the PSU has gone out an it is overheating...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Another thing to check is to see if the airvent(s) are getting stuffed up with fluff thus stopping hotair from escaping. Might be an idea to open up and have a blow out. (the computer that is - not you )
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

p/s

thxs,
    I have discovered the p/s was replaced recently. Could this have damaged the m/b. ? The new p/s causing trouble.!
    the ram is ok.
    After an hour approx. it freezes. Everything stops. Except the power button to reboot.
    Though did forget to start in safe mode.

When it stops after about an hour, it sounds like heat. Read the temps in the BIOS or open the case and run a small desk fan blowing into the case to see if it still crashes. If it does, it is probably heat.
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

how do you mean,,

ok budfred, Try that - get a fan open the case , "run a small desk fan blowing into the case to see if it still crashes "
    this i have to try.

If you have a CPU with a fan, check the fan to see if it is working properly.

Thread Information